Re: [coolpix990] SB-22 speedlight question

  • Charli
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
      I know I'm not covering the sensor with my finger. I do need to find out
      what settings to use. Do you remember if you used the automatic settings or
      the manual setting?

      I would love to have the instructions. I have a high speed connection...
      whatever would be easiest for you. Please email me at charliann@...
      and let me know. Thanks so much!!!

      Charli
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
        Hi Charli,

        To get TTL-esque external flash with my 990 I just set the flash to TTL and
        the 990 Speedlight Control to Int Flash Off. You have to have the camera in
        manual (M-Rec) mode to get access to the speedlight settings on the menu.
        They're on the second menu page and you can also adjust the power of the
        flash by +/- 2EV in 1/3 EV steps... which can come in very handy. I'm not
        sure that the external flash will even fire if the camera is in Auto mode.

        Occasionally the camera and flash seem to get their wires crossed and I end
        up with either completely blown out shots or completely underexposed shots.
        Physically turning the external flash off then back on and the internal
        flash on and then off again in the 990s menu usually cures the problem. I've
        never quite worked out why this happens.

        In Auto mode I'm not sure how the Nikon Speedlight units work, but I suspect
        most flashguns operate on similar principals. On my old Metz you select the
        aperture and film speed settings on the flashgun control panel that match
        the ones you've set on the camera. The flashgun then uses its own sensor to
        quench the flash for correct exposure. All you have to do is make sure that
        your subject is within the maximum flash distance for the aperture you've
        selected.

        When the flashgun is in Manual mode it just fires at whatever intensity it's
        set at (mine has M, M1/2 and M1/4 -- which gives a full power flash, a 1/2
        power flash or a 1/4 power flash). Manual mode means just that -- you have
        to do everything yourself: consult the calculator/table/panel on the
        flashgun and calculate the right aperture to set on the camera for correct
        exposure based on your subject distance.

        Hope this helps.

        Cheers,

        Calvin!
        --
        Calvin Jones

        http://www.cjwriting.com -- Commercial writing

        http://www.nivlac.net -- Creative writing

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
          Thanks. I do turn off my internal flash in M mode and use the speedlight
          alone. I have tried using all flash settings... A, M, and TTL, and usually
          the flash is way too strong and totally washes out the picture. I only have
          one Manual setting on the flash, but three auto settings. I have set the
          camera's EV setting as low as it will go with no apparent results. Maybe I
          ll go through a series of shots with each flash setting and each camera
          setting and see if I can tell the difference. I just know I've been pretty
          disappointed with the results so far. I will try your trick of turning the
          external off and the internal on before switching back and see if it helps.

        • Paul Berndt
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
            Charli,

            I don't have all of the pages and have asked the person I sent them too
            if he would send them back. If not, I have also asked my brother to
            rescan the pages. Will let you know.

            Paul