Re: [coolpix990] 990 repairs ?

  • Steven Dunn
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1 8:16 AM
      Dan,
      Would you mind snapping a picture of your solution? You can send it
      direct to me if you like. I am very much interested in seeing how you
      solved this problem.
      --Steven

      On Jun 30, 2004, at 7:19 PM, Dan Freidus wrote:

      > There are many solutions that people have used siucne this is a
      > common problem due to faulty design (I doubt my next camera will be a
      > Nikon though I haven't bought any other brand since my first Nikon in
      > 1982 (after a Topcon and a Pentax)).
      >
      > I've settled for an aluminum plate cut to the shape of the base of
      > the camera and held in place with a tripod screw.� So if it's on a
      > tripod or copy stand there's a smaller base of support than the
      > actual camera body.� But it opens easily and holds well.� I cut the
      > aluminum with a ghacksaw and did the ifnal shaping with a file;
      > nothing hi-tech.
      >
      > Dan
      >
      > >Allong those same lines, I have a question regarding problems with
      > the
      > >battery compartment.� The little ridges that hold the lid latches in
      > have
      > >broken off.� Hence I can no longer close the batteries in to power
      > up the
      > >camera.� I also love my 990 and do not wish to part with it for
      > something as
      > >trivial as a battery compartment that won't close.� Does anyone have
      > any
      > >advice on either a makeshift repair, (i.e. carving a ridge into a
      > glob of
      > >hardened crazy� glue), or somewhere where I can get a replacement
      > casing?
      > >--Steven
      >

      > To unsubscribe send an email to:
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
      > <l.gif>
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > �
      > �
      > Service.

    • adriatix1
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 8 1:30 AM
        I have been asked by few people with that brocken battery door latch
        for help so I finaly made 5 more pieces you can see at

        http://adriatix.hr/PHOTO/DSRL/Pict/IMG_2962_C_S.jpg
        http://adriatix.hr/PHOTO/DSRL/Pict/IMG_2965_C_S.jpg

        as a fix.

        So if you are interested to adopt one plese let me knew

        Branimir

        --- In coolpix990@yahoogroups.com, Martin J Pensak
        <Martin.J.Pensak@u...> wrote:

        > My 990 has a minor but annoying problem, the internal battery is
        dead so it
        > loses
        > the date and a few other settings every time I swap the main
        batteries.

        > A few months ago there was someone 'hanging out' in this group who
        was
        > offering
        > to do hardware repairs like that faster and cheaper than factory
        Nikon
        > service.
        > But now that I'm ready to go, I've emailed him off-list, and
        haven't gotten
        > an answer.
        >
        > Still love the 990, paid a lot of money for it some years ago,
        don't want
        > to part with it,
        > but with current capabilities vs. price of new cameras I'm having a
        hard
        > time bringing
        > myself to pay Nikon's repair price (I think its $250-ish?).
        >

        > This communication is for use by the intended recipient and
        contains
        > information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted
        under
        > applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
        hereby
        > formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-
        mail,
        > in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the
        sender
        > by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless
        > explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
        > this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract
        amendment,
        > or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not
        constitute
        > a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct
        marketing
        > purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.
        >
        > Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese
        Korean

        > http://www.DuPont.com/corp/email_disclaimer.html
      • Mike Russell
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 8 2:08 AM
          adriatix1 wrote:
          > I have been asked by few people with that brocken battery door latch
          > for help so I finaly made 5 more pieces you can see at
          >
          > http://adriatix.hr/PHOTO/DSRL/Pict/IMG_2962_C_S.jpg
          > http://adriatix.hr/PHOTO/DSRL/Pict/IMG_2965_C_S.jpg
          >
          > as a fix.
          >
          > So if you are interested to adopt one plese let me knew

          This looks wonderful. Have you posted the procedure for this before? I'd
          be delghted to put this all together in a web page with your permission.

          Mike Russell
          www.curvemeister.com
          www.geigy.2y.net
        • adriatix1
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 8 6:11 AM
            Here is a web link

            http://adriatix.hr/PHOTO/DSRL/CoolPix%20990%20Fix.htm

            But I must tell you it is not easy to make it. First you must have
            the right material. Then it should be grinded in fraction of mm as it
            looks like. In other case you will made a short circuit with battery
            contacts etc etc.

            So if you are interested send me a mail.

            adriatic

            --- In coolpix990@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Russell" <curvemeister@p...>
            wrote:
            > adriatix1 wrote:
            > > I have been asked by few people with that brocken battery door
            latch
            > > for help so I finaly made 5 more pieces you can see at
            > >
            > > http://adriatix.hr/PHOTO/DSRL/Pict/IMG_2962_C_S.jpg
            > > http://adriatix.hr/PHOTO/DSRL/Pict/IMG_2965_C_S.jpg
            > >
            > > as a fix.
            > >
            > > So if you are interested to adopt one plese let me knew
            >
            > This looks wonderful. Have you posted the procedure for this
            before? I'd
            > be delghted to put this all together in a web page with your
            permission.

            > Mike Russell
            > www.curvemeister.com
            > www.geigy.2y.net
          • Mike Russell
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 8 12:44 PM
              adriatix1 wrote:
              > Here is a web link
              >
              > http://adriatix.hr/PHOTO/DSRL/CoolPix%20990%20Fix.htm
              >
              > But I must tell you it is not easy to make it. First you must have
              > the right material. Then it should be grinded in fraction of mm as it
              > looks like. In other case you will made a short circuit with battery
              > contacts etc etc.
              >
              > So if you are interested send me a mail.

              Very nice work.

              I see a couple of pieces of pegwood there - are you a watchmaker? Perhaps
              you could make these and sell them to the rest of us? I doubt you'd get
              rich, but I'd be happy to pay for one.

              Mike Russell
              www.curvemeister.com
              www.geigy.2y.net
            • adriatix1
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 9 12:33 AM
                In fact I have made 5 puppies day before yesterday because this is so
                delicate work, and Nikon CoolPix is so good camera that it shall be
                left on side because of that minor problem.

                And it works like this.
                I send you one of these puppies for adoption on trust basiss.
                And if you are happy with this fix, you will send me $ 32.00.

                If you don't like it, you send it back to me, and I will send it to
                someone else. And make him happy again with his trustful tool.

                I think this a fair deal