RE: [coolpix990] monitor/lcd screen

  • Clark Guy
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      HI Doug!

      It sounds to me like your batteries are dying. You have enough "juice" to
      run the camera for a while, but if you run the zoom motor, it pulls the
      battery volltage down to the point that the camera decides to shut off.

      I would suggest that you obtain some KNOWN good batteries (not just
      "new"batteries, as they sometimes are bad when you get them... I chased my
      tail for days once, thinking "... but I put in new batteries!!!..." when
      they were as dead as the original batteries!). If known good batteries
      and/or the AC adapter for the camera produces the same result, then you may
      indeed have a camera malfunction.

      If you still can't get M or play, try jiggling the selector switch to see if
      you can make it work again... the selector switch on the 950 is a known weak
      spot in the design, possibly the same in the 990 as well.

      If all else fails, take the batteries out, and let the camera sit for a few
      days (like doing a cold boot on your computer) and then put the batteries
      back in and see if the behavior changes.

      Hope this helps!!!

      Guy Clark

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
        Guy Clark,
        You hit the nail on the head. I had just bought a new set of Powerex
        2200 mAh batteries , newly recharged and worked great for a while .
        Then all these strange things started to happen to the camera; I was
        pressing buttons,changing cards ,re inserting the batteries, putting
        other batteries into it. It all would be ok if I left it overnight
        and then turned it on. If it was on for over a handful of minutes, it
        would start getting weird.
        So I guess I will have to break these batteries in.
        Mahalo for your insight. It's a big relief to me as I was fretting a
        big repair bill and an unknown time without the camera.
        Aloha Doug
        D o u g Y o u n g
        Young Hawaii Works of Art
        <http://www.younghawaii.com>
        mailto:dyoung@...

      • Clark Guy
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003
          HI, Doug!

          I"m glad I could help!

          Even a set of new Duracells from the local drugstore (check the date and/or
          buy from a store that sells alot of batteries so that you don't get any old
          stock) ought to run the camera properly for a while (20 minutes?) as a
          test.

          If they work only for a handful of minutes, though, something inside the
          camera may have failed and is pulling too much current. Does the camera get
          warm all by itself while on? How about the batteries? do they get more than
          slightly warm in use? if so, you likely still have a problem.

          Oh, I almost forgot... do the batteries get warm while charging? If not,
          maybe your charger has failed... and of course you know that they don't
          charge in the camera when it's plugged into the AC adapter (I thought they
          did when I first got my 990... newbie! ;-) )

          I hope you just got a bad set of batteries....

          Guy