Coolpix 995

  • Michael Rosenblatt
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
      Two things have troubled me concerning the 995 and its built-in flash. I know the power is limited, but

      1-Does the automatic metering work when using the flash so that the lens is wide open due to normal indoor lighting, thereby constricting the depth of field?

      2-What manual focus setting would give me the largest range? My indoor shots are no closer than eight feet and no longer than 20 feet due to the limitations of the flash.

      Thanks for your help.

      Mike R.

    • Larry N. Bolch
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
        Michael Rosenblatt the Wise of <rosymike@...>, thus proclaimed
        unto all the People:

        > Two things have troubled me concerning the 995 and its built-in flash. I
        > know the power is limited, but
        >
        > 1-Does the automatic metering work when using the flash so that the lens
        > is wide open due to normal indoor lighting, thereby constricting the
        > depth of field?

        The flash is entirely capable of being precisely mixed with ambient light at
        any shutter speed or aperture. On auto-flash, the camera decides whether it
        thinks you need flash or not. On fill flash, IIRC, it sets the shutter speed
        no lower than 1/60th, and on Slow sync, handles lower shutter speeds. (Check
        the manual for specifics)

        > 2-What manual focus setting would give me the largest range? My indoor
        > shots are no closer than eight feet and no longer than 20 feet due to the
        > limitations of the flash.

        Range for flash is entirely dependent upon aperture. Longest range at f-2.8,
        diminshing as the lens is stopped down.

        larry!
        ICQ 76620504
        http://www.larry-bolch.com/