I broke my 990

  • Dale Kashner
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2002
      Clear DayHi,
      I have a problem which I've never seen reported here, and I've been
      following this list since the 990 came out. Yesterday, after my batteries
      were low, I put new ones in and took a couple of pics and put it back in my
      camera bag. When I got it out the next time, the battery door was open and
      my batteries fell out. I don't know what happened, except maybe the string
      thats attached to the lens cap got caught in the battery door. Anyway after
      close inspection, I found that two of the little "ears" that the battery
      door catches when it is locked where broken. The battery door is not
      broken, which is common. There are 3 of the little 'catches' that the
      battery door locked into. The one that is left is not enough to keep the
      battery door closed. Anybody have any ideas. I thought about trying to
      glue them back, but I don't know what kind of glue to use and they are so
      tiny, I don't think I would get them back right anyway. It looks to me like
      the whole outer case on that side would have to be replaced, because they're
      molded into the plastic. Does anybody know how much Nikon will charge just
      to look at it? Should I take it back to the camera store and have them send
      it back to Nikon or should I deal with Nikon directly? I really love using
      this camera, and don't want to give it up until I can afford a digital SLR.
      Thanks,
      Dale in PA
    • jtgraphics
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2002
        Give them a call
        Nikon Inc.
        19601 Hamilton Ave.
        Torrance, CA 90502-1309
        Service Dept.
        1-800-645-6678
        Fax 1-310-719-9782

        JTGraphics
        http://www.jtgraphics.net/all_digital.htm

        --- In coolpix990@y..., "Dale Kashner" <drkashner@m...> wrote:
        > Clear DayHi,
        > I have a problem which I've never seen reported here, and I've
        been
        > following this list since the 990 came out. Yesterday, after my
        batteries
        > were low, I put new ones in and took a couple of pics and put it
        back in my
        > camera bag. When I got it out the next time, the battery door was
        open and
        > my batteries fell out. I don't know what happened, except maybe
        the string
        > thats attached to the lens cap got caught in the battery door.
        Anyway after
        > close inspection, I found that two of the little "ears" that the
        battery
        > door catches when it is locked where broken. The battery door is
        not
        > broken, which is common. There are 3 of the little 'catches' that
        the
        > battery door locked into. The one that is left is not enough to
        keep the
        > battery door closed. Anybody have any ideas. I thought about
        trying to
        > glue them back, but I don't know what kind of glue to use and they
        are so
        > tiny, I don't think I would get them back right anyway. It looks
        to me like
        > the whole outer case on that side would have to be replaced,
        because they're
        > molded into the plastic. Does anybody know how much Nikon will
        charge just
        > to look at it? Should I take it back to the camera store and have
        them send
        > it back to Nikon or should I deal with Nikon directly? I really
        love using
        > this camera, and don't want to give it up until I can afford a
        digital SLR.
        > Thanks,
        > Dale in PA
      • Adrian Chapman
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2002
          On 1/11/02 1:31 pm, "Dale Kashner" <drkashner@...> wrote:

          > Clear DayHi,
          > I have a problem which I've never seen reported here, and I've been
          > following this list since the 990 came out. Yesterday, after my batteries
          > were low, I put new ones in and took a couple of pics and put it back in my
          > camera bag. When I got it out the next time, the battery door was open and
          > my batteries fell out.

          Exactly the same thing happened to me just a week or so back. I enquired
          about the cost of a repair and was quoted 60 GBP which I though was rather
          expensive and won't cure what is a fundamental design flaw. In the end I
          repaired it myself, but you will need some small tools and a tube of good
          superglue together with something like some strands of fine glass fibre.

          If you do a search of the Coolpix990 messages you will find a link to a site
          that describes this repair, but also requires some dismantling of the
          camera. I managed to do it without any dismantling and so far the repair
          seems to be holding up and the repair is much easier to do than to describe.
          Basically you either need to stick the broken lugs back on if you still have
          them, or fabricate some from an old CD jewel case. You then carefully wrap
          strands of glass fibre over the lugs an stick them into the battery holder.
          Apply a reasonable amount of superglue with something like a pin and there
          you go. You may need to gently file down the new lugs and glass fibre to
          make the battery door close properly and/or to get the batteries to slide
          into the holder smoothly.

          OK, it doesn't look very good, but it is inside the camera so not generally
          visible, but it will be considerably stronger than the original design.

          --
          Adrian

          "If at first you don't succeed - so much for skydiving"
        • Rick
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2002
            see this for how to fix it at home :
            http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=2267289

            also, you might attach a tripod quick release plate to the camera
            bottom, some of them will overlap the door and hold it closed for you.
            not perfect, but multipurpose 8-)

            rick

            Dale Kashner wrote:
            > Clear DayHi,
            > I have a problem which I've never seen reported here, and I've been
            > following this list since the 990 came out. Yesterday, after my batteries
            > were low, I put new ones in and took a couple of pics and put it back in my
            > camera bag. When I got it out the next time, the battery door was open and
            > my batteries fell out. I don't know what happened, except maybe the string
            > thats attached to the lens cap got caught in the battery door. Anyway after
            > close inspection, I found that two of the little "ears" that the battery
            > door catches when it is locked where broken. The battery door is not
            > broken, which is common. There are 3 of the little 'catches' that the
            > battery door locked into. The one that is left is not enough to keep the
            > battery door closed. Anybody have any ideas. I thought about trying to
            > glue them back, but I don't know what kind of glue to use and they are so
            > tiny, I don't think I would get them back right anyway. It looks to me like
            > the whole outer case on that side would have to be replaced, because they're
            > molded into the plastic. Does anybody know how much Nikon will charge just
            > to look at it? Should I take it back to the camera store and have them send
            > it back to Nikon or should I deal with Nikon directly? I really love using
            > this camera, and don't want to give it up until I can afford a digital SLR.
            > Thanks,
            > Dale in PA

          • Lee Penn
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2002
              Last week, my wife and I spent 6 days tooling around looking at the Fall
              Colors. This link points to what I think is my best shot of the trip.

              http://lee.dlptech.com/October2002FallColorTrip/DSCN1102m_JPG.html

              It owes a great deal to Larry and Max Lyon's tips on Photoshop
              techniques to tame the lack of exposure latitude. The above referenced
              image was the result of darkening the leaf to get better color and then
              lightening the dark background. I layered the leaf as the forground and
              made sections of it transparent to the background layer which I had
              lightened. It worked pretty well.

              Other images are available for viewing from the above link.

              Lee

            • cbuehler@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2002
                I liked #5 image the best :-)

                Carl

                Last week, my wife and I spent 6 days tooling around looking at the Fall
                Colors. This link points to what I think is my best shot of the trip.

                http://lee.dlptech.com/October2002FallColorTrip/DSCN1102m_JPG.html

                It owes a great deal to Larry and Max Lyon's tips on Photoshop
                techniques to tame the lack of exposure latitude. The above referenced
                image was the result of darkening the leaf to get better color and then
                lightening the dark background. I layered the leaf as the forground and
                made sections of it transparent to the background layer which I had
                lightened. It worked pretty well.

                Other images are available for viewing from the above link.

                Lee

                To unsubscribe send an email to:

              • botia
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 2, 2002
                  Your new pics are great,I love the number 5
                  Piotr

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 2, 2002
                    Lee,

                    All those fotos are wonderful! You did a good job with your
                    photoshopping on this closeup leaf pic. It's fun, isn't it to use
                    the
                    computer in a creative way. I'm with the others, though. #5
                    stands out for overall appeal, probably because it makes us
                    want to be there.

                    Glenda K
                    Arlington, TX

                    --- In coolpix990@y..., "Lee Penn" <lee@d...> wrote:
                    > Last week, my wife and I spent 6 days tooling around looking
                    at the Fall
                    > Colors. This link points to what I think is my best shot of the
                    trip.

                    http://lee.dlptech.com/October2002FallColorTrip/DSCN1102m_J
                    PG.html

                    > It owes a great deal to Larry and Max Lyon's tips on Photoshop
                    > techniques to tame the lack of exposure latitude. The above
                    referenced
                    > image was the result of darkening the leaf to get better color
                    and then
                    > lightening the dark background. I layered the leaf as the
                    forground and
                    > made sections of it transparent to the background layer which I
                    had
                    > lightened. It worked pretty well.
                    >
                    > Other images are available for viewing from the above link.
                    >
                    > Lee

                  • Lee Penn
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 2, 2002
                      #5 is a two shot panorama assembled with a program called Panavue
                      www.panavue.com .
                      The location is West Virginia as we were driving out Camp Creek State
                      Forest which is off of I77 near Pipestem.

                      Next time, I'm going to have to try some campfire pictures. Glad people
                      liked it.

                      Lee

                      All those fotos are wonderful! You did a good job with your
                      photoshopping on this closeup leaf pic. It's fun, isn't it to use
                      the
                      computer in a creative way. I'm with the others, though. #5
                      stands out for overall appeal, probably because it makes us
                      want to be there.

                      Glenda K
                      Arlington, TX

                      --- In coolpix990@y..., "Lee Penn" <lee@d...> wrote:
                      > Last week, my wife and I spent 6 days tooling around looking
                      at the Fall
                      > Colors. This link points to what I think is my best shot of the
                      trip.

                      http://lee.dlptech.com/October2002FallColorTrip/DSCN1102m_J
                      PG.html

                      > It owes a great deal to Larry and Max Lyon's tips on Photoshop
                      > techniques to tame the lack of exposure latitude. The above
                      referenced
                      > image was the result of darkening the leaf to get better color
                      and then
                      > lightening the dark background. I layered the leaf as the
                      forground and
                      > made sections of it transparent to the background layer which I
                      had
                      > lightened. It worked pretty well.
                      >
                      > Other images are available for viewing from the above link.
                      >
                      > Lee

                      To unsubscribe send an email to:

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    • Frank Damon
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 2, 2002
                        Lee:
                        Some of your pics are amazing, especially the screaming red colors.
                        Where were they taken?
                        Frank Damon
                        fldamon@...
                      • Lee Penn
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 2, 2002
                          Frank Damon wrote:
                          > Lee:
                          > Some of your pics are amazing, especially the screaming red
                          > colors. Where were they taken? Frank Damon
                          > fldamon@...

                          Eastern Ohio near Chillicothe Ohio, Then West Virginia not too far from
                          Beckly (Camp Creek Forest, WV, exit 20 off of I 77). Then Natural Bridge
                          State Park Kentucky about 60 miles East of Lexington. This is also the
                          Daniel Boone National Forest and Red River Gorge areas. Besides, my
                          wife really likes the red leaves.

                          I did not do anything to enhance the read other than to darken some of
                          the images slightly. Did not boost saturation at all. Pretty much as
                          the camera captured them. Cloudy weather might have helped too.

                          Glad you enjoyed them.

                          Lee
                        • Dale Kashner
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 2, 2002
                            Thanks for all the suggestions. I read the dpreview message and it sounds
                            good. I'll get my supplies Monday and try it. Thats alot better than
                            sending it back to Nikon, which wouldn't fix the design flaw anyway.
                            Thanks again,
                            Dale in PA

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 3, 2002
                              On 3/11/02 1:06 am, "Dale Kashner" <drkashner@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks for all the suggestions. I read the dpreview message and it sounds
                              > good.

                              I think you can do this quite well without taking the camera apart.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 3, 2002
                                Yes I am reluctant to take it apart. I'm going to try without taking it
                                apart.
                                Dale in PA
                                > > Thanks for all the suggestions. I read the dpreview message and it
                                sounds
                                > > good.
                                >
                                > I think you can do this quite well without taking the camera apart.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Adrian
                                >
                                > "If at first you don't succeed - so much for skydiving"

                              • Carolyn Hardy
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 3, 2002
                                  Thanks for the link. I just added it to my growing favorites folder for
                                  camera fixes.
                                  Carolyn Hardy
                                  Nevada City, CA
                                  ICQ #19873347
                                  I-700-mama
                                  I have a photographic memory, I'm just out of film!