Viking CF256M card fails to work?

  • vafbtony
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1 12:30 AM
      I just got a new Viking CF256 MB card from Amazon for $95.00- great
      price! When I installed it in my 990 camera it took several seconds
      for my camera to turn on and when it did the memory card indicator was
      flashing. The camera would not accept the 256 mb card. My current 32
      mb card form sandisk worked just fine. I put the Viking 256 mb card
      in my sandisk card reader and was able to read and write to it just
      like a normal disk with no problems. I again tried to use the Viking
      card in the 990 with no better luck, it will not even let me format
      the card. I still have version 1.0 in my camera, could this be the
      cause of my problem?
    • HRosita@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1 3:42 AM
        Hi,

        I would return the card. I have two Viking cards (128 and 256) from
        Amazon.com and they work flawlessly.

        Rosita

      • Michael Ham
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1 4:06 AM
          At 03:30 AM 9/1/2002, you wrote:
          >I just got a new Viking CF256 MB card from Amazon for $95.00- great
          >price! When I installed it in my 990 camera it took several seconds
          >for my camera to turn on and when it did the memory card indicator was
          >flashing. The camera would not accept the 256 mb card. My current 32
          >mb card form sandisk worked just fine. I put the Viking 256 mb card
          >in my sandisk card reader and was able to read and write to it just
          >like a normal disk with no problems. I again tried to use the Viking
          >card in the 990 with no better luck, it will not even let me format
          >the card. I still have version 1.0 in my camera, could this be the
          >cause of my problem?

          I am not an expert..but I bet it is the card and not
          the camera...I recently bought a SanDisk 256MB from
          Amazon for the same price and if I had bought it a
          day later would of been $20.00 off (always my luck),
          the SanDisk 256MB works like a champ in my 990..and I put my
          SanDisk 128MB in an old Coolpix 900 I have and it works great in it.
          So my money always goes to SanDisk. Never had a dud with
          that brand...not saying they can't have one...but one has
          never made it here and I have bought the SanDisk brand all
          along for the last couple years or so.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1 5:49 AM
            I've beenusing a Lexar 256 card in my 990 for several months with
            absolutely no problem. My guess is that your problem is the card, not
            the camera.

            Al in Houston