990 locking device

  • stephanemoniotte
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi there,
      I'm a new member, so I hope this issue has not been extensively
      discussed before.
      On my two CPs 990, the lock of the battery compartment was gradually
      damaged and finally torn out, in spite of proper handling, during
      battery changes. I am wondering whether anyone else has faced the
      same problem with those fragile locking devices on the CP 990 ?! By
      the way, Nikon upgraded the system for an apparently more robust lock
      on the CP 995.
      See pictures of the disaster at
      http://www.md.ucl.ac.be/peca/test/locker.html
      Would you suggest any kind of repair ??
      Cheers,
      Stephane.
      Stephane Moniotte
      Brussels BELGIUM
    • mileshellon
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
        Have a look here Stephane:
        http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=2267289

        Regards,

        Miles

        --- In coolpix990@y..., "stephanemoniotte" <digiscoping@h...> wrote:
        > Hi there,
        > I'm a new member, so I hope this issue has not been extensively
        > discussed before.
        > On my two CPs 990, the lock of the battery compartment was
        gradually
        > damaged and finally torn out, in spite of proper handling, during
        > battery changes. I am wondering whether anyone else has faced the
        > same problem with those fragile locking devices on the CP 990 ?! By
        > the way, Nikon upgraded the system for an apparently more robust
        lock
        > on the CP 995.
        > See pictures of the disaster at
        > http://www.md.ucl.ac.be/peca/test/locker.html
        > Would you suggest any kind of repair ??
        > Cheers,
        > Stephane.
        > Stephane Moniotte
        > Brussels BELGIUM
      • NormanS
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
          Hi:
          By the looks of your photo, it might be an easy repair to just glue
          the flap of plastic back to where it was and tap a small 6-32 or
          similar brass or SS screw right on top of it to reinforce it.
          I realize this might be heresy to some to have a visible mark on the
          outside of the case, but if it is done right, it will probably never
          break again.
          Good Luck,
          Norman
          New member, as well