Re: [coolpix990] FW: BCPL.NET NEWS: Myparty Worm

  • Roderick Stewart
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2002
      In article <a3d06o+lbob@...>, Mavicator wrote:
      > If you receive an attachment which is infected by an unknown virus,
      > and it's from a trusted source, then you will likely be infected and
      > there's nothing anyone can do about it until a new virus definition
      > is released. So while I'm sure InDefense does what it is supposed
      > to, it doesn't really do anything except prevent you from opening
      > any attachments, which you can do yourself without the help of that
      > program!

      The best solution seems to be to have a virus checker program, but only
      run it manually on suspected files that you actually intend to open.
      Because the program is not running constantly in the background, it
      doesn't slow down your computer or interfere with anything, and you
      don't have to remember to switch it off when installing new software.
      It's probably inpossible to obtain 100% protection against viruses by
      any means, but any scheme that includes your own intelligence has got
      to be better than relying entirely on a piece of software, assuming
      that it will do your thinking for you.

      Rod.
    • Sheryl LeWinter
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2002
        HI...my 2 cents.

        I've had Norton Antivirus for years. I keep it running on auto-detect, and
        it doesn't slow things down...at least not noticeably. I have a cable modem
        connection, so I feel much safer having it turned on all the time. I have
        it set to scan emails, and in the past couple of months it has alerted me at
        least 5 or 6 times in the middle of a mail retrieval session that there was
        a virus file or possible virus, and asks me if I want to quarantine or
        delete it. Then I don't have to worry about what attachments I open because
        they've already been scanned. I think using it in manual mode would defeat
        the purpose.

        I get email from another Yahoo group (Incredimail) that sends attachments
        all the time...hundreds in any week. I always look at the file name before
        opening, but I've never had a problem.

        Peace,
        Charli
        > If you receive an attachment which is infected by an unknown virus,
        > and it's from a trusted source, then you will likely be infected and
        > there's nothing anyone can do about it until a new virus definition
        > is released. So while I'm sure InDefense does what it is supposed
        > to, it doesn't really do anything except prevent you from opening
        > any attachments, which you can do yourself without the help of that
        > program!

        The best solution seems to be to have a virus checker program, but only
        run it manually on suspected files that you actually intend to open.
        Because the program is not running constantly in the background, it
        doesn't slow down your computer or interfere with anything, and you
        don't have to remember to switch it off when installing new software.
        It's probably inpossible to obtain 100% protection against viruses by
        any means, but any scheme that includes your own intelligence has got
        to be better than relying entirely on a piece of software, assuming
        that it will do your thinking for you.

        Rod.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        To unsubscribe send an email to:

      • mavicator
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2002
          For Antivirus software to work properly it needs to run all the
          time, and be updated frequently. And unless you have a very slow
          computer, a good AV program shouldn't slow anything down. Even if
          it does, such a minor performance hit is certainly worth the
          protection. You never realize how much you can be hurt until your
          hard drive's contents are garbled beyond repair. Even if you back
          everything up once a month, that's a month worth of you pictures,
          emails, documents, banking, etc, etc that you will lose forever.

          I know I sound like a Norton advertisement, but even if you don't
          run NAV2002 run SOMETHING! It's cheap insurance. You don't need the
          whole System Works - in fact I'd recommend against it. Just
          Antivirus 2002. My favorite feature about Norton is that it scans
          incomming AND outgoing mail so you aren't affected by worms which
          are so common and costly.

          - Steve

          --- In coolpix990@y..., Roderick Stewart <rjfs@e...> wrote:
          > In article <a3d06o+lbob@e...>, Mavicator wrote:
          > > If you receive an attachment which is infected by an unknown
          virus,
          > > and it's from a trusted source, then you will likely be infected
          and
          > > there's nothing anyone can do about it until a new virus
          definition
          > > is released. So while I'm sure InDefense does what it is
          supposed
          > > to, it doesn't really do anything except prevent you from
          opening
          > > any attachments, which you can do yourself without the help of
          that
          > > program!
          >
          > The best solution seems to be to have a virus checker program, but
          only
          > run it manually on suspected files that you actually intend to
          open.
          > Because the program is not running constantly in the background,
          it
          > doesn't slow down your computer or interfere with anything, and
          you
          > don't have to remember to switch it off when installing new
          software.
          > It's probably inpossible to obtain 100% protection against viruses
          by
          > any means, but any scheme that includes your own intelligence has
          got
          > to be better than relying entirely on a piece of software,
          assuming
          > that it will do your thinking for you.
          >
          > Rod.
        • charlie dev
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2002
            > And unless you have a very slow
            > computer, a good AV program shouldn't slow anything down.

            Thats not Norton then it slows my system down considerably, even when
            disabled, you have to actually uninstall it, i have all kinds of problems with it.
            I've had things that normally take 10 minutes to build, take 3 hours or more (
            which is absolute worse case, typically 40% is common)

            Its a common complaint amongst developers , as too how much it slows the
            system down, Norton don't seem to care about fixing it, we've been bugging
            them for years about it.

            Considering what it does you'd expect some impact, just not this much.

            I use mcafee since it does not have to hook into the system though it is a
            memory/file scanner, not runtime protection. Noth mcafee and norton
            in *hooked* mode will cause some software problems

            And no, i don't have a slow machine, everything reads in the G's, its just
            the way norton works, if you do lots of file accesses it slows everything
            down to a crawl.

            charlie
          • Bruce Gladstone
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2002
              It seems like ages ago that Mike said this isn't a forum for viruses and
              computer problems and the beat goes on. Give it a bloody rest.

              > computer, a good AV program shouldn't slow anything down.

              Thats not Norton then it slows my system down considerably, even when
              disabled, you have to actually uninstall it, i have all kinds of
              problems with it. I've had things that normally take 10 minutes to
              build, take 3 hours or more ( which is absolute worse case, typically
              40% is common)

              Its a common complaint amongst developers , as too how much it slows the
              system down, Norton don't seem to care about fixing it, we've been
              bugging them for years about it.

              Considering what it does you'd expect some impact, just not this much.

              I use mcafee since it does not have to hook into the system though it is
              a memory/file scanner, not runtime protection. Noth mcafee and norton in
              *hooked* mode will cause some software problems

              And no, i don't have a slow machine, everything reads in the G's, its
              just the way norton works, if you do lots of file accesses it slows
              everything down to a crawl.

              charlie

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/