Re: Vom Strauß

  • susana_miguela
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 21, 2007
      --- In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, ranvaig@... wrote:
      <deletia>
      > >Also, the line 'laß es in seiner eygenen Brüh lauter' I would
      > >translate as 'leave it in its own broth to clarify' or
      perhaps 'let/
      > >leave it clarify in its own broth'...I bet the verb is actually
      > >'lauterlassen'.
      >
      > The broth had been previously strained, so it seemed like it should
      say "leave it in the clarified broth". But it didnt seem to say
      that. A discussion on the SCA-cooks list suggested that "lauter"
      could mean "pure, clear, or strained"

      > I TRULY appreciate the contributions.
      >
      > Ranvaig

      Sorry this is late, I've been off-line for a while . . . .
      When you strain broth, some of the cooked-down ingredients always go
      through the strainer (at least, every strainer I've ever owned!) and
      then settle out to the bottom of the dish, so when you want really
      clear broth (for consomme' or aspic, for instance) it's generally
      necessary to let the broth sit, then spoon or siphon the *really*
      clear broth off the top. (Unless you break an egg into it, and let
      the egg gather up the sediment, but then the broth might taste of
      egg, which might not be the flavor the finished dish wants. I make
      soup with my broth, not aspic, so I've never tried that way.) So
      your original, more literal translation could be correct from a
      technique point of view - I can see letting the cooked meat sit in
      its own broth for a bit; the broth would continue to self-clarify,
      which is much prettier for a formal/fancy meal, and the meat might
      dry out less than if plated and set in the warming-oven!

      Oh, sorry, introduction also called for:
      Susana Miguela Narvaez, a late-16th Century Spaniard whose husband
      has a late-16th-Century German persona so we've decided that "they"
      live in the Germanies, so obviously Susana now has German neighbors
      to discuss cooking with and German butchers, gardeners, markets &
      ingredients to deal with . . . I'm up to Chapter 5 in a first-year
      German textbook, so probably I'll receive more help from the List's
      translations that I can give, but I'm an enthusiastic cook and reader
      of new recipes.
      I've been out of the SCA for about 15 years; other interests include
      but are not limited to costuming, embroidery, historical fencing,
      leatherwork, gardening, food preservation and music (I'm audience,
      not a performer).

      Susi