Hammel 24 - false rabbit

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2011
      >O.M.G -REALLY?!?!? False rabbit is what (at least my mom) meatloaf is STILL
      called.

      Hammel 24. Nimm Hammelfleisch vnd Speck/ vnd
      hacks durcheinander gar klein/ würtz es wohl/ vnd
      versaltz es nicht/ Vnd wenn es alles
      durcheinander gehackt ist/ so mach es lenglicht
      wie Knödel/ Mach ein groben Teig/ wie man pflege
      zu machen zu den groben Pasteten/ schlag das
      Fleisch darvnter/ mach die Pasteten auff/ daß sie
      einem Hasen gleich sihet/ so meinet man nicht
      anders/ denn es sei ein Haß darinnen eyngemacht.
      Denn kann man nit allezeit Wildpret haben/ so muß
      man sollche vortheil suchen. Solche Pasteten
      kanstu von allerlei Fleisch/ es sei Rindern/
      Kälbern vnd Schweinen/ zurichten.

      24. Take mutton meat and bacon/ and chop it
      together very small/ spice it well/ and do not
      over salt it/ and when it all is chopped
      together/ then make it lengthwise like a
      dumpling/ Make a coarse dough/ as one cares to
      make for the coarse pie/ wrap the meat in it/ and
      make the pie/ that looks just like a hare/ for
      one thinks no other/ than it be prepared** with a
      hare inside. For if one can not always have wild
      game/ then one has to seek such an interest. Such
      pies you can prepare from various meats/ be it
      beef/ veal and pork

      I think this means that the norm was to have a
      hare pie, shaped like a rabbit.. so the dinners
      would know what it was. So if you didn't have
      hare, you'd still make a pie shaped like one..
      and they would think they were getting hare.

      Not sure if it means a 3D sculpture or a flat outline.

      Ranvaig
    • wheezul@canby.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2011
        >>O.M.G -REALLY?!?!? False rabbit is what (at least my mom) meatloaf is
        >> STILL
        > called.
        >
        > Hammel 24. Nimm Hammelfleisch vnd Speck/ vnd
        > hacks durcheinander gar klein/ würtz es wohl/ vnd
        > versaltz es nicht/ Vnd wenn es alles
        > durcheinander gehackt ist/ so mach es lenglicht
        > wie Knödel/ Mach ein groben Teig/ wie man pflege
        > zu machen zu den groben Pasteten/ schlag das
        > Fleisch darvnter/ mach die Pasteten auff/ daß sie
        > einem Hasen gleich sihet/ so meinet man nicht
        > anders/ denn es sei ein Haß darinnen eyngemacht.
        > Denn kann man nit allezeit Wildpret haben/ so muß
        > man sollche vortheil suchen. Solche Pasteten
        > kanstu von allerlei Fleisch/ es sei Rindern/
        > Kälbern vnd Schweinen/ zurichten.
        >
        > 24. Take mutton meat and bacon/ and chop it
        > together very small/ spice it well/ and do not
        > over salt it/ and when it all is chopped
        > together/ then make it lengthwise like a
        > dumpling/ Make a coarse dough/ as one cares to
        > make for the coarse pie/ wrap the meat in it/ and
        > make the pie/ that looks just like a hare/ for
        > one thinks no other/ than it be prepared** with a
        > hare inside. For if one can not always have wild
        > game/ then one has to seek such an interest. Such
        > pies you can prepare from various meats/ be it
        > beef/ veal and pork
        >

        > I think this means that the norm was to have a
        > hare pie, shaped like a rabbit.. so the dinners
        > would know what it was. So if you didn't have
        > hare, you'd still make a pie shaped like one..
        > and they would think they were getting hare.
        >
        > Not sure if it means a 3D sculpture or a flat outline.
        >
        > Ranvaig

        Hmm, if you translate eyngemacht passage as a 'whole hare inside' then it
        seems that you would have an indication of a 3D sculpture. Maybe they
        were wrapped in dough to bake them? And I have just run across some
        eingemacht recipes in Wecker. Maybe I should share them - I'm trying to
        see if they shed some light on the subject.

        Katherine
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2011
          >And I have just run across some
          >eingemacht recipes in Wecker. Maybe I should share them - I'm trying to
          >see if they shed some light on the subject.

          That would be so helpful..