Ochsen 73

    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 2, 2011
      I translated this because of a question on
      another list. Also the previous transcription
      had a problem, two lines in the wrong place,
      instead of "Rüben. It's so nice having the
      online version to check.

      Ochsen 73. Eyngemachten Ochsenschwantz/ setz jn
      zu in einem Wasser/ vnd laß an die statt sieden/
      heb die Brüh davon auff/ so wirdt es wohl
      geschmack/ Als dann nimm gelbe Rüben/ schab vnd
      schneidt sie voneinander/ quells in Wasser/ vnd
      kül es auß/ Nimm darnach ein wenig ungesaltzen
      Speck vnd Zwibel/ hacks durcheinander mit grünen
      Kräutern/ laß den Schwantz damit sieden/ thu
      gestossen Pfeffer darein/ so wirt es gut vnd wohl
      geschmack.

      73. Put up** Oxtail/ set it to (the fire) in a
      water/ and let simmer until done/ lift from the
      broth/ like this it becomes good and well
      tasting/ then take yellow roots (yellow carrots)/
      peel and cut them apart/ parboil in water/ and
      cool off/ Then take a little unsalted bacon and
      onion/ chop together with green herbs/ let the
      tail simmer with them/ put in ground pepper/ like
      this it is good and well tasting.

      ** Eyngemachten is a difficult word, modernly it
      means canned, but in Rumpolt indicates fruit
      preserved in sugar or dishes with a sauce or
      sometimes in a pie - I suspect they might be
      dishes meant to be served cold. I've settled for
      using "put up" to translate it, but am aware that
      it isn't entirely correct.

      Ranvaig
    • Johnna Holloway
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 7, 2011
        The MDZ (Münchener Digitalisierungszentrum) includes copies of the
        1544 and 1537 Koch- und Kellerey von allen Speisen. See
        http://www.muenchener-digitalisierungszentrum.de/

        Johnnae