Re: [cooking_rumpolt] Schmeltz

  • Antonia
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010
      On 2/12/2010 8:54 a.m., Sharon Palmer wrote:
      > The usual word for melt or dissolve is zerlaß or zerlassen
      >
      > butter is zerlassen
      > speck is zerlassen
      > garlic is zerlassen in vinegar or broth
      > horseradish is zerlassen in broth
      > chopped apple and onion is zerlaß in broth
      > grated bread is xerlaß in warm wine
      > garlic and crushed parsley are zerlaß in milk
      > crushed figs are zerlaß in wine
      > Meltenkraut is strained and zerlaß in broth
      > Rosensafft is zerlaß in wine
      > watercress is grated and zerlaß in wine vinegar
      >
      > less often zergehen or zergehet
      >
      > butter zergehet on the fire
      > sugar is zergehet
      > cheese is zergehet
      > pastry zergehet in one's mouth
      >
      > zerschmiltzet - only used once, the dictionary says melts away
      > geuß ein wenig Wein darüber/ daß der Zucker nur zergehet vnnd zerschmiltzet/

      Actually, going by all that, it sounds like zergehet is "melted" and
      "zerlaß" is something like softened.

      --
      Canterbury Faire 2011 - You know you want to!
      http://sg.lochac.sca.org/cf
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010

        I would disagree with sipmly 'softened' -  because Rosensafft is zerlaß in wine
        would mean that the rose juice is dissolved or  perhaps diluted in the wine...

        Gwen Cat (who missed all the cinnamon fun on Cooks list cause you guys alwyas
        get busy over the holidays when Im swamped :-)
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010
          I reread the recipe. It says to skim the knödel
          and schmeltz the cabbage or turnips and the
          knödel will be good. At first I thought the
          veggies were added to the knödel, but I think the
          answer is that you put the skimmed fat with the
          veggies and *glaze* them with it.

          That works with the Grimm definition and with the zerschmiltzet reference
          geuß ein wenig Wein darüber/ daß der Zucker nur zergehet vnnd zerschmiltzet/
          the sugar melts and *glazes*, not melts and melts.

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 7, 2010
            --- In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Palmer <ranvaig@...> wrote:

            > "schmeltz" is a cognate for "smelt" and usually means smelt or melt.
            >
            > The Early New High German - English Dictionary has:
            > schmelzen sv. to melt, become liquid
            > schmelzen wv. geschmelzt to melt, liquefy, make liquid
            >
            > Grimm has a long entry with many uses that all mean melt.
            >
            > Rumpolt uses "schmeltz" in only a few places. One clearly means melt.
            >
            > sonst wirt der Zucker bald zerschmeltzen/ besteck
            > es mit uberzogen Zimmet/ oder uberzognen Nelken/
            > so bleibt es zierlich/ vnd schmeltzt nicht bald.
            >
            > Then how does one melt cabbage (or herbs) and
            > turnips? They are added after the knödel have
            > cooked an hour. Does he mean to cook them until
            > soft? Or something else?
            >
            > vnd schmeltz Kraut oder Rüben darmit
            > vnd schmeltz ein Kraut darmit/
            > vnd schmeltzt Kraut oder Rüben damit/
            >
            > Ranvaig

            Hi Ranvaig,

            with the herbs, turnips etc., the modern spelling of the word is not "schmelzen" but "schmälzen", i.e.g cook or fry in lard (Schmalz) or other fat. It's still used in recipes or food descriptions today. E.g. "Maultaschen" are typically served with "geschmälzten Zwiebeln".

            Hope that helps!

            Best regards,

            Christina