Schmeltz

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010
      "schmeltz" is a cognate for "smelt" and usually means smelt or melt.

      The Early New High German - English Dictionary has:
      schmelzen sv. to melt, become liquid
      schmelzen wv. geschmelzt to melt, liquefy, make liquid

      Grimm has a long entry with many uses that all mean melt.

      Rumpolt uses "schmeltz" in only a few places. One clearly means melt.

      sonst wirt der Zucker bald zerschmeltzen/ besteck
      es mit uberzogen Zimmet/ oder uberzognen Nelken/
      so bleibt es zierlich/ vnd schmeltzt nicht bald.

      Then how does one melt cabbage (or herbs) and
      turnips? They are added after the knödel have
      cooked an hour. Does he mean to cook them until
      soft? Or something else?

      vnd schmeltz Kraut oder Rüben darmit
      vnd schmeltz ein Kraut darmit/
      vnd schmeltzt Kraut oder Rüben damit/

      Ranvaig
    • wheezul@canby.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010
        > "schmeltz" is a cognate for "smelt" and usually means smelt or melt.
        >
        > The Early New High German - English Dictionary has:
        > schmelzen sv. to melt, become liquid
        > schmelzen wv. geschmelzt to melt, liquefy, make liquid
        >
        > Grimm has a long entry with many uses that all mean melt.
        >
        > Rumpolt uses "schmeltz" in only a few places. One clearly means melt.
        >
        > sonst wirt der Zucker bald zerschmeltzen/ besteck
        > es mit uberzogen Zimmet/ oder uberzognen Nelken/
        > so bleibt es zierlich/ vnd schmeltzt nicht bald.
        >
        > Then how does one melt cabbage (or herbs) and
        > turnips? They are added after the knödel have
        > cooked an hour. Does he mean to cook them until
        > soft? Or something else?
        >
        > vnd schmeltz Kraut oder Rüben darmit
        > vnd schmeltz ein Kraut darmit/
        > vnd schmeltzt Kraut oder Rüben damit/
        >
        > Ranvaig

        I get the feeling from the first passage that the sense of the word is
        more like 'dissolve' rather than 'melt'. Maybe softened vegetables make
        the most sense. Could it mean that the ingredients were mixed together
        after the knödel were cooked (which doesn't make a great deal of sense
        when serving a dumpling? Could it be a variant spelling for schmaltz?
        I've seen zerschmeltzen used pretty much with instructions for sugar
        ingredients, and that's were I get the idea of dissolve as a nuance of
        meaning because the sugar doesn't really melt per se without the addition
        of liquid called for in the recipes.

        Katherine
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010
          schmeltz, schmelzen, to melt. (pretty sure it has nothing to do with smelts and
          other funny little fishies ;-)

          not having the entire text to hand means I am guessing, but if you have ever
          cooked cabbage from scratch you know it melts down/collapses and gets soft.  Is
          the only thing I can guess he may mean.
          No clue about turnips... only cooked em once or twice.

          Gwen Cat
          back to contracts for Spring 2011 and Summer and Fall 2011 schedule  yehaw!

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010
            Hi Katherine

            actually, I find sugar does melt with just heat and patience, no liquid needed.
            Not saying that dissolve would not fit.  Ice melts but disolves too.. and the
            German there is schmilzt too.
            Gwen Cat

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010
              The usual word for melt or dissolve is zerlaß or zerlassen

              butter is zerlassen
              speck is zerlassen
              garlic is zerlassen in vinegar or broth
              horseradish is zerlassen in broth
              chopped apple and onion is zerlaß in broth
              grated bread is xerlaß in warm wine
              garlic and crushed parsley are zerlaß in milk
              crushed figs are zerlaß in wine
              Meltenkraut is strained and zerlaß in broth
              Rosensafft is zerlaß in wine
              watercress is grated and zerlaß in wine vinegar

              less often zergehen or zergehet

              butter zergehet on the fire
              sugar is zergehet
              cheese is zergehet
              pastry zergehet in one's mouth

              zerschmiltzet - only used once, the dictionary says melts away
              geuß ein wenig Wein darüber/ daß der Zucker nur zergehet vnnd zerschmiltzet/

              Ranvaig
            • Antonia
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010
                On 2/12/2010 8:54 a.m., Sharon Palmer wrote:
                > The usual word for melt or dissolve is zerlaß or zerlassen
                >
                > butter is zerlassen
                > speck is zerlassen
                > garlic is zerlassen in vinegar or broth
                > horseradish is zerlassen in broth
                > chopped apple and onion is zerlaß in broth
                > grated bread is xerlaß in warm wine
                > garlic and crushed parsley are zerlaß in milk
                > crushed figs are zerlaß in wine
                > Meltenkraut is strained and zerlaß in broth
                > Rosensafft is zerlaß in wine
                > watercress is grated and zerlaß in wine vinegar
                >
                > less often zergehen or zergehet
                >
                > butter zergehet on the fire
                > sugar is zergehet
                > cheese is zergehet
                > pastry zergehet in one's mouth
                >
                > zerschmiltzet - only used once, the dictionary says melts away
                > geuß ein wenig Wein darüber/ daß der Zucker nur zergehet vnnd zerschmiltzet/

                Actually, going by all that, it sounds like zergehet is "melted" and
                "zerlaß" is something like softened.

                --
                Canterbury Faire 2011 - You know you want to!
                http://sg.lochac.sca.org/cf
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010

                  I would disagree with sipmly 'softened' -  because Rosensafft is zerlaß in wine
                  would mean that the rose juice is dissolved or  perhaps diluted in the wine...

                  Gwen Cat (who missed all the cinnamon fun on Cooks list cause you guys alwyas
                  get busy over the holidays when Im swamped :-)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010
                    I reread the recipe. It says to skim the knödel
                    and schmeltz the cabbage or turnips and the
                    knödel will be good. At first I thought the
                    veggies were added to the knödel, but I think the
                    answer is that you put the skimmed fat with the
                    veggies and *glaze* them with it.

                    That works with the Grimm definition and with the zerschmiltzet reference
                    geuß ein wenig Wein darüber/ daß der Zucker nur zergehet vnnd zerschmiltzet/
                    the sugar melts and *glazes*, not melts and melts.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 7, 2010
                      --- In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Palmer <ranvaig@...> wrote:

                      > "schmeltz" is a cognate for "smelt" and usually means smelt or melt.
                      >
                      > The Early New High German - English Dictionary has:
                      > schmelzen sv. to melt, become liquid
                      > schmelzen wv. geschmelzt to melt, liquefy, make liquid
                      >
                      > Grimm has a long entry with many uses that all mean melt.
                      >
                      > Rumpolt uses "schmeltz" in only a few places. One clearly means melt.
                      >
                      > sonst wirt der Zucker bald zerschmeltzen/ besteck
                      > es mit uberzogen Zimmet/ oder uberzognen Nelken/
                      > so bleibt es zierlich/ vnd schmeltzt nicht bald.
                      >
                      > Then how does one melt cabbage (or herbs) and
                      > turnips? They are added after the knödel have
                      > cooked an hour. Does he mean to cook them until
                      > soft? Or something else?
                      >
                      > vnd schmeltz Kraut oder Rüben darmit
                      > vnd schmeltz ein Kraut darmit/
                      > vnd schmeltzt Kraut oder Rüben damit/
                      >
                      > Ranvaig

                      Hi Ranvaig,

                      with the herbs, turnips etc., the modern spelling of the word is not "schmelzen" but "schmälzen", i.e.g cook or fry in lard (Schmalz) or other fat. It's still used in recipes or food descriptions today. E.g. "Maultaschen" are typically served with "geschmälzten Zwiebeln".

                      Hope that helps!

                      Best regards,

                      Christina