OT & OP: meaning of weitergart

  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2010
      Sorry for this way off topic post. This concerns modern German. I can
      translate this whole sentence except the word weitergart. I have
      found the word on the web in German language pages, but i cannot find
      a definition for it.

      (i have changed special characters, sz is obviously esszet, while a:
      = a umlaut).

      Das Feuer musz so [gering] eingerichtet werden, dasz das Gericht bis
      zum Morgen weitergart und, wenn es fertig ist, nicht angebrannt,
      sondern weich und nur leicht gebra:unt ist.

      So, what am i doing? Translating a German translation of some 16th c.
      Persian recipes...
      --
      Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
      the persona formerly known as Anahita
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13, 2010
        Weitergart  - Weiter - continues or a longer distance or time
        Gart - garen - to cook (simmer),
        you want that slow cooker effect of something that simmers slowly all night and
        is not overdone or burnt.

        Purr
        Gwen Cat

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13, 2010
          Gwen Cat purred:
          >Weitergart - Weiter - continues or a longer distance or time
          >Gart - garen - to cook (simmer),
          >you want that slow cooker effect of something that simmers slowly
          >all night and
          >is not overdone or burnt.

          Thanks! Seemed that way from context, but i wanted to be sure.
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 13, 2010
            >Sorry for this way off topic post. This concerns modern German.
            >So, what am i doing? Translating a German translation of some 16th c.
            >Persian recipes...

            I'd say that is on topic. Or close enough.