Re: [cooking_rumpolt] Starting a new thread of inquiry

  • Johnna Holloway
    Message 1 of 10 , May 24, 2010
      laughing

      I am glad the posts are valuable.

      The Florilegium is an odd thing. Sometimes one mentions it
      and the response is "Of course. I already searched it." Or one
      gets the "What's a Florilegium?" One never knows if one should mention
      it or not. And sometimes there are those sheepish responses
      where one admits "I forgot all about it."

      Doc's www.medievalcookery.com can also be searched for fritter recipes.
      It's a two step process. Go to

      http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi/booksearch.pl

      and enter an ingredient like "eggs".

      Then when the list pops up, use the FIND function under Edit on
      the search engine.

      Searching for frit for example then highlights recipes like:

      To make Fritters of Spinnedge

      A Fritter to be made in a Moulde

      It's a relatively quick way to browse recipes.

      hope this also helps

      Johnnae

      Message 2 of 10 , May 24, 2010
        >Johnnae there is always a little squee from my computer screen when I open
        >your responses.

        Johnnae is amazing.!

        >I could even travel the hour to OSU and sit in
        >front of the stacks just browsing.

        Do you mean Ohio State University? I'm in Dublin, right out side
        Columbus, I didn't realize you were so close! I could check the
        stacks for you, or meet you there. I haven't been to the main
        library since they finished the renovation last year, I've been
        planning to spend a day there.

        I have a laptop and a lightweight scanner that could save
        photocopying charges. Also if you know what you are looking for, its
        worth checking *where* it is, there are several small libraries, and
        the book depository, where books may be ordered but not browsed. For
        that matter, you could request their books from Interlibrary loan.

        Ranvaig
      • wheezul@canby.com
        Message 3 of 10 , May 24, 2010
          >>Johnnae there is always a little squee from my computer screen when I
          >> open
          >>your responses.
          >
          > Johnnae is amazing.!

          Yep.

          >>I could even travel the hour to OSU and sit in
          >>front of the stacks just browsing.
          >
          > Do you mean Ohio State University? I'm in Dublin, right out side
          > Columbus, I didn't realize you were so close! I could check the
          > stacks for you, or meet you there. I haven't been to the main
          > library since they finished the renovation last year, I've been
          > planning to spend a day there.

          Ah, that'd be Oregon State University, home of the 'Beavers'. I got quite
          the kick out of the responses to noting a recipe for beaver's tails from
          the Landsknecht contingent that plays there! I would love to be closer
          and be able to meet and play :)

          > I have a laptop and a lightweight scanner that could save
          > photocopying charges. Also if you know what you are looking for, its
          > worth checking *where* it is, there are several small libraries, and
          > the book depository, where books may be ordered but not browsed. For
          > that matter, you could request their books from Interlibrary loan.

          I work at a University, so I have very generous lending privileges and
          super ILL librarians. (I think it is customary to spit so the gods do
          not think I am boasting.) These journals are in the local system, so it
          means generally a pretty fast turn around. At least I'm hoping so.

          Katherine

          Message 4 of 10 , May 24, 2010

            >Ah, that'd be Oregon State University

            Well darn... this world is just too big.