Re: [cooking_rumpolt] The difference between a julep and a syrup?

  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12, 2010
      Katherine wrote:
      >I've run across a couple of instances of the word julep in the recipes I
      >am working through. Sometimes the instructions say julep or syrup. Does
      >anyone have any hints for me about the differences between the two?

      Syrup comes from sharab (Arabic sing., sharbat pl.; in Turkish it
      became sherbet). A sharbat is a syrup made of any of a number of
      items, drunk mixed with water. There are also syrups/sharbat, such as
      those made of fruit juices, of herbs, of flowers, and of mixed herbs
      and spices. See the anonymous Andalusian, last or nearly last
      chapter, for a number of recipes.

      Sherbets made in the Sultans palace in Costantiniye (Constantinople,
      now Istanbul) in the 15th through 17th centuries included:

      Sweet Apple sharbat
      Sour Apple sharbat
      Arab Sharbat (with spices)
      Bitter Orange sharbat
      Sour Cherry Sharbat
      Date Palm Flower Sharbat
      Date sharbat
      Grape sharbat
      Honey sharbat
      Lavender Sharbat
      Lemon sharbat
      Mint sharbat
      Mulberry Sharbat
      Peach Sharbat
      Pear sharbat
      Sweet Pomegranate sharbat
      Sour Pomegranate sharbat
      Sugar Sharbat
      Rose sharbat
      Tamarind Sharbat
      Violet Sharbat
      Water Lily sharbat

      Julab is one kind of sharab/syrup. The word derives from the Persian,
      gul, which means flower, especially the rose. The 13th c. anonymous
      Andalusian cookbook gives a recipe for sharab of julab, made by
      cooking sugar and rosewater together to make a syrup. In the SCA
      period Islamic world it is a very specific term. Even today in the
      Middle East julab is made with rosewater, dates, and water and served
      over ice.

      Europeans appear to have borrowed the term julep and used it more
      generically. And borrowed sherbet and applied it specifically to what
      is essentially frozen sharab.

      --
      Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
      the persona formerly known as Anahita