Re: [cooking_rumpolt] Sälmling 7-12

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 8, 2010
      > Sälmling 8. Sälmling in Cassenadt abgesotten
      >I dont find Cassenadt BUT I do find cassenroer
      >(the oand e are actually touching) translated as
      >Bot. cassia fistula L. (that seems to be a
      >'golden showers' tree but Im in the middle of
      >some computer maintenance so cant pursue it
      >furhter... google did find photos.....

      The medical properties seem rather severe.

      Wikipedia: "Golden Shower Tree (C. fistula) is
      unequivocally identified and considered very
      potent in Ayurvedic medicine, where it is called
      aragvadha ("disease killer"). It contains
      elevated quantities of anthraquinones and
      consequently is mainly useful against
      gastrointestinal conditions (e.g. constipation or
      acid reflux) and to still bleeding. While its
      fruit pulp is considered a mild remedy, the roots
      are said to be so potent as to render their use
      dangerous if not supervised by a trained
      professional."

      I wonder if it could mean "Cassia" or American
      cinnamon, as apposed to real cinnamon. There are
      7 references.

      Spensaw 32. Füß abgesotten in Cassenadt/
      Hausen 8. Rogen in Cassenadt gekocht/
      Stören 4. Abgesotten in Cassenadt kalt.
      Salmen 2. Abgesotten Salm in Cassenadt.
      Huechen 2. Huechen in Cassenadt.
      Sälmling 8. Sälmling in Cassenadt abgesotten fein blaw/

      >laß darmit ein Sudt auffthun together let a broth open
      >I wonder it it means let it come to a boil? or
      >serve it with the 'juices/broth'

      It means cook until the the juices come out from
      what you are cooking. Maybe my translation is
      too literal.

      >please forgive I am comming down with the crud, and I feel awful

      I'm sorry that you aren't feeling well, but
      *deeply* appreciate your help. Especially when
      my fingers are being stupid.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8, 2010
        One more Cassenadt reference, this one from the menus.

        Von einem grossen Stir gekocht in Kassenadt/ vnnd
        grün Petersilgen darüber geworffen.
        (I suspect Stir means Stor or sturgeon)

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2010
          my first thought was cassia too. and the exact word they use is not in Baufeldt so this was the only close one they had... it seems wrong, but was worth looking into.

          I think in the case of open you might want to be a little more specific, though in most cases I think you are spot on.  giving a translation but letting the reader decide just how to interpret it!!!!

          Yes, this crud SUX I HATE green bits!!!
          PURR
          Gwen Cat

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 20, 2010
            >>laß darmit ein Sudt auffthun
            >> together let a broth open
            >
            >I wonder it it means let it come to a boil?

            I think you were right (and I was wrong). In
            this recipe there is nothing but water in the
            fish kettle when the Sudt opens. To be fair to
            me, Sudt seems to mean broth or cooking liquid in
            other contexts.

            Foren 16. ... / setz ein Wasser auff in einem
            Fischkessel/ vnnd laß ein Sudt auffthun/ setz das
            Wasser herab vom Feuwer/ vnnd wirff die Foren in
            das heisse Wasser/

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 21, 2010
              my mental image is of large bubbles breaking at the top of the liquid, though yes sudt is also the liquid itself, usually flavored but sometime apparently not.
              Modernly sieden is simmering, the little bubbles breaking, do that may be where my mind got it from (sorry classes have started and I am once again innundated - and the office computer picked up a virus that had me dead in the water all day yesterday - I THINK I got it from mousing over (not clicking, not actually meaning to do anything more than get my mouse from point A to point B and it passing over something IN YAHOO mail or YAHOO groups - I read from the website)  so be careful out there.

              Purr
              Gwen thankfully no longer popping up blue pill ads (and more) Cat

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 21, 2010
                >my mental image is of large bubbles breaking at the top of the
                >liquid, though yes sudt is also the liquid itself, usually flavored
                >but sometime apparently not.
                >Modernly sieden is simmering, the little bubbles breaking, do that
                >may be where my mind got it from (sorry classes have started and I
                >am once again innundated - and the office computer picked up a virus
                >that had me dead in the water all day yesterday - I THINK I got it
                >from mousing over (not clicking, not actually meaning to do anything
                >more than get my mouse from point A to point B and it passing over
                >something IN YAHOO mail or YAHOO groups - I read from the website)
                >so be careful out there.

                I've heard reports about malicious ads on the Yahoo site, popup ads
                that infect you when you click anything, even a close button. This
                isn't the place to talk about it, but be careful out there, and
                report it to Yahoo.