Re: [cooking_rumpolt] Gluua/ Gluva

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 13, 2009
      OK, found 'gluf(e) in my dictionary (Baufeld's Kleines fru:hneuhochdeutsches Wo:rterbuch).  That is a needle or pin.
      with spelling variations I could make allowances for gluve or gluva
      so yes, poke little holes so things dont explode ;-)  Is still standard practice for making sausages.

      Ranveig, you have gotten very good at reading that old script, but is the last one perhaps a typo for the r?
      cause stroking it with a large needle makes no sense in this context... at least to me

      What pages are those on?

      Gwen taking her migrane back to bed now Cat

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 13, 2009
        >OK, found 'gluf(e) in my dictionary (Baufeld's
        >Kleines fru:hneuhochdeutsches Wo:rterbuch).
        >That is a needle or pin.
        >with spelling variations I could make allowances for gluve or gluva
        >so yes, poke little holes so things dont explode
        >;-) Is still standard practice for making
        >sausages.

        Thanks for finding that. Early New High German -
        English Dictionary says glufe is a bodkin. Its
        also listed in Grimm. Amazing how much you find
        when you look for the right thing.

        >Ranveig, you have gotten very good at reading
        >that old script, but is the last one perhaps a
        >typo for the r? What pages are those on?

        Page numbers are the HAB PDF (and isnt that wonderful!!)
        I double checked before I sent the email, and
        checked again now.. the "r" is there.

        Ochsen 61. pg 114 bestich den Darm mit einer Gluua/ dz er nit blattert wirt/
        Eyngemachten 1.pg 462 stich sie mit einer Gluua
        Eyngemachten 4. pg 463 stich die Schalen mit einer Gluua
        Eyngemachten 6. pg 463 bestreichs mit einer starcken Gluua

        The whole thing is:

        Eyngemachten 6. Weich Jngwer in ein Wasser/ biß
        er weich wirt/ quell jn wider in einem Wasser/
        vn~ laß nur ein wenig ein wall auffthun/ laß ein
        tag oder zween in kaltem Wasser weichen/
        bestreichs mit einer starcken Gluua/ vnnd thu es
        in einen Sirup/ der wol gesotten vnnd lauter ist/
        vnnd machs eyn wie ein Zitron.

        6. Soak ginger in a water/ until it becomes soft/
        parboil it in a water/ and let only a little
        billow** open/ let soak a day or two in cold
        water/ spread with a strong Gluva/ and put it in
        a syrup that is well boiled and is clear/ and put
        up like a citron.
        ** perhaps wall = Welle or billow, related to
        walm, which is used for timing in med English
        recipes.

        >Gwen taking her migrane back to bed now Cat

        Hope your headache is better soon.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 13, 2009
          sorry top posting is all I can manage at the moment.

          yes, the r is there. Still could be a typo from Rumpolts time. Bestech (Besteich) with a large needle could be used to make the syrup penetrate something as dense as a dried and reconstituted ginger root?
          Yes I am guessing, I can think no other technique that would have you stroke it with a needle WAIT, unless perhaps it would remove the peel? that might be worth experimenting with.

          rambling, head somewhat better but I HATE wasting one of the last Sundays before the holidays by being sick. Am crawling back into bed now, but hey, something else to let the mind play with.

          PURR
          Cat