Introduction

  • Marion McNealy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hi!
      Lots of names I recognize on the list so far.

      My SCA name is Sophia Kress, although I usually go by my mundane name online of Marion. I'm currently residing in Atlantia in the Barony of Marinus. I have not cooked or planned a feast, but have reconstructed several recipes from Welserin and Guter Spiese, and these are online at http://www.curiousfrau.com/Food/index.htm

      I read a bit of German, although most of my vocabulary is currently clothing related.

      For older German words, I like these online dictionary resources, they have lots of nice old words and older spellings.
      http://germazope.uni-trier.de/Projects/WBB/woerterbuecher/bmz/wbgui?lemid=BA00001
      http://germazope.uni-trier.de/Projects/WBB/woerterbuecher/lexer/WBB/lexer/wbgui

      For online translations, I like http://www.freetranslation.com/ for translating the definitions.

      If you are looking for a printed German- English dictionary, try a used bookstore and look for a nice thick one that's cheap.

      - Sophia

    • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
        >Hi!
        >Lots of names I recognize on the list so far.
        >
        >My SCA name is Sophia Kress, although I usually go by my mundane name online of Marion. I'm currently residing in Atlantia in the Barony of Marinus. I have not cooked or planned a feast, but have reconstructed several recipes from Welserin and Guter Spiese, and these are online at http://www.curiousfrau.com/Food/index.htm
        >
        >I read a bit of German, although most of my vocabulary is currently clothing related.
        >
        >For older German words, I like these online dictionary resources, they have lots of nice old words and older spellings.
        >http://germazope.uni-trier.de/Projects/WBB/woerterbuecher/bmz/wbgui?lemid=BA00001
        >http://germazope.uni-trier.de/Projects/WBB/woerterbuecher/lexer/WBB/lexer/wbgui
        >
        >For online translations, I like http://www.freetranslation.com/ for translating the definitions.
        >
        >If you are looking for a printed German- English dictionary, try a used bookstore and look for a nice thick one that's cheap.
        >
        >- Sophia

        Welcome to the list. I've added these to the Links section. Thank you.

        Ranvaig
      • lilinah@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2011
          If we're introducing ourselves... I've been the SCA about 10 years. I've cooked quite a few feasts using historic recipes which covered quite a few different cuisines - including on that was primarily German. I managed to translated 28 recipes for mushrooms written in widely ranging medieval German, because i wanted a German mushroom recipe for that feast - but i didn't find the mushroom recipes until after that feast :-( I'm far from fluent in German - i had less than one semester at a jr. college in the 1970s.

          Lately i've been focusing on 15th & 16th c. Ottoman and 16th c. Persian cuisines. So i periodically translate bits of Hans Dernschwam's descriptions of mid-16th c. Ottoman food from his Bohemian German and post here for help in smoothing them out.

          Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
          in the Principality of the Mists, the Kingdom of the West
          which is the San Francisco Bay Area, California