Welcome

    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 7, 2009
      We have several new members and I want to welcome you to the list.
      Please introduce yourself and your interests/experience with German
      food..

      I've been translating Max Rumpolt's Ein New Kochbuch for nearly 3
      years, usually in sprints when I have time. It's a big book, with
      much more left to go. Since I'm unemployed now, there has been a big
      sprint lately and more likely to come.

      You might go to the group website and look around in the files, where
      you can find the current translation and glossary.

      I mostly post geeky translation questions, but *any* question about
      pre-1600 German cooking is on topic for this list. Tell us about
      recipes you've tried, or feasts you have cooked. Especially if you
      used my translations. Its nice to know that the work is useful.

      Ranvaig
    • Marian Walke
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 7, 2009
        Sharon Palmer wrote:
        > We have several new members and I want to welcome you to the list.
        > Please introduce yourself and your interests/experience with German
        > food..

        Thank you!

        My interests are not specifically with German cookery; all Western
        European Medieval and Renaissance recipes hold some interest.

        However, years ago I found a copy of Ein Buch von Guter Spise in a
        Harvard library, where it was shelved under Fish Cookery. No
        translations were available then, so I struggled as best I could with a
        German-English dictionary in one hand. (I showed a photocopy to Alia
        Atlas, who actually knew German, and she has translated it since.)
        I was frequently confused: in modern German, "elen" refers to elk, not
        eels, for example.

        I also interpreted the Heathenish kuchen as a tart or pasty, rather than
        a cake, and made it with pork -- which would be completely wrong if by
        Heathen, Saracen was meant. However, my pork and apple tarts have been
        very popular.

        Rumpolt remained a mystery. I am glad to have access to a translation
        at last.

        As for period cookery in general, I have had some experience. I have
        cooked for many local feasts, organized our Carolingian Cooks Guild in
        the mid-1970s, and managed two shops at Pennsic: first the Sated Tyger
        Inn, and later (with a partner) the Battlefield Bakery.

        Old Marian
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 28, 2012
          Welcome to Cooking Rumpolt, We have a couple of new members. The
          translations are in the File section for download. Feel free to ask
          questions. Mostly I talk about translation issues, but I *love* to
          hear about people using the recipes, or even just reading them.

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 30, 2012
            >Welcome to Cooking Rumpolt, We have a couple of new members. The
            >translations are in the File section for download. Feel free to ask
            >questions. Mostly I talk about translation issues, but I *love* to
            >hear about people using the recipes, or even just reading them.

            And more new members. Welcome Selene and Robin of Rye.

            Ranvaig
          • Nicole Uhl
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 30, 2012
              Thank you :-)

              A little introduction to who I am:

              My name is Coco Uhl, or Robyn of Rye in the SCA, I am cooking apprentice of Master Giano Balestriere)

              I am cooking within the SCA since about eight years I think, starting off with "smaller" feasts (about 30 people) into "bigger ones". You might smile about that in the states, but around 110 people IS definitely a "big" event here in Germany ;-) (but we do have real castles :-P)

              My modern background is my Mom and Dad both being professional cooks. My dad tols me all his secrets about calculating, and my Mom schooled my taste from very early.
              I also have been translating german/english in my Job, and am now doing it for the SCA if I have time (like important BoD messages for my friends who do not speak english too well).
              I wasnt too much of a researcher, but my Master makes sure I do and intrduced to me the fun of research.

              Whats the best: I can do it on the couch ;-)

              I once thought about translating the cookbook of Sabina Welserin, but fortunately found out that it has been translated already before I started on the project. At this time I was very much into the german late medieval cooking field, and of course came across Rumpolt, who is definitely, from what I can tell, the most popular original cookbook used here in germany.
              It was quite a surprise to me that Welserin was translated yet, but Rumpolt wasnt.

              Even though I moved on to another time and place in my cooking (I am currently in Romes fine Kitchen after exploring the early period Arabs) I would love to help this translation a bit and maybe also to learn more about translatig such old texts.

              Greets

              Robyn (will take some time to go through the translation now ;-) )

              Seit ich das Wort "Dings" kenne kann ich ALLES erklären!

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 30, 2012

                >It was quite a surprise to me that Welserin was translated yet, but
                >Rumpolt wasnt.

                I think the difference is that Rumpolt is so much bigger than
                Welserin, 1952 recipes instead of 205. 500 pages instead of maybe a
                dozen. Gwen Cat translated several chapters before I started.. but
                it's a huge book.

                Ranvaig
              • Nicole Uhl
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 30, 2012
                  yes it defo is.....

                  sorry my facebook is acting up again so I have to spam all of you with questions XD

                  I figured that passages in the originals you marked red are the one you are not sure about how to translate them?

                  with a bummer as big as this I might start on these, cause reading the first pages of translation the ones NOT marked red are translated quite accordingly... the ones in red have "huh?"s.
                  so I will go for all stuff marked red for now, and THEN compare it to your translation. in my bad english XD.

                  you are gonna have fun reading this but I hope I can get along the MEANING of it, and you put it into nice english words. that a deal? :-)

                  Robyn

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 30, 2012
                    >yes it defo is.....
                    >
                    >sorry my facebook is acting up again so I have to spam all of you
                    >with questions XD

                    Questions here are always fine. It's probably easier to talk in one place.

                    >I figured that passages in the originals you marked red are the one
                    >you are not sure about how to translate them?

                    The words in red on the cover, were printed in red in the original.
                    No more or less unsure than any other words.

                    Things I'm unsure of are marked with "??"
                    or "##" for typos or places the original is illegible.

                    In general, I think my translations are much better for actual
                    recipes than when Rumpolt goes off on prose.. I've tried to translate
                    some of it, but it gets difficult.

                    >you are gonna have fun reading this but I hope I can get along the
                    >MEANING of it, and you put it into nice english words. that a deal?
                    >:-)

                    I am *very* grateful for any help you can give.

                    Ranvaig
                  • Susan Fox
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 30, 2012
                      On 4/30/2012 8:22 AM, Sharon Palmer wrote:

                      > >Welcome to Cooking Rumpolt, We have a couple of new members. The
                      > >translations are in the File section for download. Feel free to ask
                      > >questions. Mostly I talk about translation issues, but I *love* to
                      > >hear about people using the recipes, or even just reading them.
                      > >

                      > And more new members. Welcome Selene and Robin of Rye.
                      >
                      > Ranvaig

                      Thank you! I find translation and interpretation so very interesting.

                      Dame Selene Colfox, OP, Lux Caidis and other local cookery awards.
                      Outside of the SCA: managing editor of Hollywood News Calendar, former
                      board member of the Culinary Historians of Southern California. Will
                      cook anything, any century. Want to brace up my German culinary
                      knowledge and explore Austrian cooking history also, having grown up
                      with an "auntie" from Innsbruck who inspired me from about age 10 onwards.

                      Cheers,
                      Selene

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 6, 2012
                        Welcome to krisattiac

                        >Comment from user:
                        >Long-time member of the sca-cooks list, sporadically active in the
                        >Carolingian Cooks Guild. I'd like to add Rumpolt to the cookbooks from
                        >which I experiment.

                        I hope you enjoy Rumpolt. Please feel free to introduce yourself, or
                        ask any questions. I'd love to hear about any Rumpolt cooking you do.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 12, 2014
                          Welcome to several new members to the list. It's been pretty quiet,
                          since I haven't been actively working on the translation lately. The
                          current version includes all menus and recipes, but most of the
                          introduction remains to be translated. (I've set myself a challenge
                          to at least do a first draft by the end of 2015).

                          Let me know if you have any trouble downloading the files. The
                          "improvements" to Yahoo have made it harder than it used to be. If
                          you can't download, I'll be happy to email the files.