Re: [cooking_rumpolt] Welcome

  • Johnna Holloway
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 6, 2009
      I actually did the challenge in a backwards way.
      I contacted them in 2007 when the website/sign-ups were being redone.
      I explained what I intended to do and never heard back
      that sign-ups were reopen.

      So I just did the challenge and then notified them when it was done.

      Sometimes it's much easier to just do the work first and notify later.

      Of course it makes it look easy.

      Johnnae

      On Nov 6, 2009, at 10:55 AM, Sharon Palmer wrote:

      > > I recently completed the A&S50 Challenge and am starting
      > >on a second 50.
      > >

      > Early on, I signed up for the A&S50 challenge, but translating
      > Rumpolt doesn't fit nicely into the number 50, there aren't enough
      > chapters, there are too many recipes. I decided that even so, that
      > it is my project, and my goal is to finish the translation by then.
      > Because I am a procrastinator, and I *need* a goal. :)

      > If you haven't heard of the challenge.

    • Jennifer Marshall-Craig
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 10, 2009
        Hi all,

        My name is Zophia and I live in the Midrealm (Ohio). I am interested in
        sewing, embroidery, knitting, crocheting, and of course cooking. I have
        been slowly working on translating a couple of period German and Dutch
        cookbooks, as my attention span and work schedule has allowed.

        Zophia Boreka
        mka Jennifer Marshall-Craig

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 10, 2009
          Welcome Zophia,

          I'm in Ohio too. Which cookbooks are you translating?
          Ranvaig

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 11, 2009
            Which Dutch cookbooks are you doing?

            I know that there's been some work done on the 1484 Keukenboek, the
            1510 Nederlansche kookboek, plus two others from 1514 and 1593.

            Johnnae

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 30, 2009
              Sorry that it took so long to reply, I have been working on a couple that I
              found throught interlibrary loan "Wildu machen ayn guet essen..." ( a
              collection of 3 cookbooks, Goldene Speisen in den Maien (cookbook of Ulrich
              Schwarz), These two have bothe the original language and a transcription
              which does make the traslalting easier. And very slowly - Carolus Battus,
              Cocboeck 1593 (I found a transcription online). I know, bad apprentice,
              working from the modern language, no bisciut for you, but it has been almost
              20 years since I have studied German.

              Zophia

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 30, 2009
                >Sorry that it took so long to reply, I have been working on a couple that I
                >found throught interlibrary loan "Wildu machen ayn guet essen..." ( a
                >collection of 3 cookbooks, Goldene Speisen in den Maien (cookbook of Ulrich
                >Schwarz),

                Thanks, I'll have to see if I can get a copy that, it sounds interesting.

                >These two have bothe the original language and a transcription
                >which does make the traslalting easier. And very slowly - Carolus Battus,
                >Cocboeck 1593 (I found a transcription online). I know, bad apprentice,
                >working from the modern language, no bisciut for you, but it has been almost
                >20 years since I have studied German.

                When I started translating Rumpolt, I hadn't studied German since
                1972. I still am by no means fluent, but I know the Rumpolt
                vocabulary pretty well. Rumpolt is pretty close to modern German,
                and is much easier than translating anything older.

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 7, 2009
                  We have several new members and I want to welcome you to the list.
                  Please introduce yourself and your interests/experience with German
                  food..

                  I've been translating Max Rumpolt's Ein New Kochbuch for nearly 3
                  years, usually in sprints when I have time. It's a big book, with
                  much more left to go. Since I'm unemployed now, there has been a big
                  sprint lately and more likely to come.

                  You might go to the group website and look around in the files, where
                  you can find the current translation and glossary.

                  I mostly post geeky translation questions, but *any* question about
                  pre-1600 German cooking is on topic for this list. Tell us about
                  recipes you've tried, or feasts you have cooked. Especially if you
                  used my translations. Its nice to know that the work is useful.

                  Ranvaig
                • Marian Walke
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 7, 2009
                    Sharon Palmer wrote:
                    > We have several new members and I want to welcome you to the list.
                    > Please introduce yourself and your interests/experience with German
                    > food..

                    Thank you!

                    My interests are not specifically with German cookery; all Western
                    European Medieval and Renaissance recipes hold some interest.

                    However, years ago I found a copy of Ein Buch von Guter Spise in a
                    Harvard library, where it was shelved under Fish Cookery. No
                    translations were available then, so I struggled as best I could with a
                    German-English dictionary in one hand. (I showed a photocopy to Alia
                    Atlas, who actually knew German, and she has translated it since.)
                    I was frequently confused: in modern German, "elen" refers to elk, not
                    eels, for example.

                    I also interpreted the Heathenish kuchen as a tart or pasty, rather than
                    a cake, and made it with pork -- which would be completely wrong if by
                    Heathen, Saracen was meant. However, my pork and apple tarts have been
                    very popular.

                    Rumpolt remained a mystery. I am glad to have access to a translation
                    at last.

                    As for period cookery in general, I have had some experience. I have
                    cooked for many local feasts, organized our Carolingian Cooks Guild in
                    the mid-1970s, and managed two shops at Pennsic: first the Sated Tyger
                    Inn, and later (with a partner) the Battlefield Bakery.

                    Old Marian
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 28, 2012
                      Welcome to Cooking Rumpolt, We have a couple of new members. The
                      translations are in the File section for download. Feel free to ask
                      questions. Mostly I talk about translation issues, but I *love* to
                      hear about people using the recipes, or even just reading them.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 30, 2012
                        >Welcome to Cooking Rumpolt, We have a couple of new members. The
                        >translations are in the File section for download. Feel free to ask
                        >questions. Mostly I talk about translation issues, but I *love* to
                        >hear about people using the recipes, or even just reading them.

                        And more new members. Welcome Selene and Robin of Rye.

                        Ranvaig
                      • Nicole Uhl
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 30, 2012
                          Thank you :-)

                          A little introduction to who I am:

                          My name is Coco Uhl, or Robyn of Rye in the SCA, I am cooking apprentice of Master Giano Balestriere)

                          I am cooking within the SCA since about eight years I think, starting off with "smaller" feasts (about 30 people) into "bigger ones". You might smile about that in the states, but around 110 people IS definitely a "big" event here in Germany ;-) (but we do have real castles :-P)

                          My modern background is my Mom and Dad both being professional cooks. My dad tols me all his secrets about calculating, and my Mom schooled my taste from very early.
                          I also have been translating german/english in my Job, and am now doing it for the SCA if I have time (like important BoD messages for my friends who do not speak english too well).
                          I wasnt too much of a researcher, but my Master makes sure I do and intrduced to me the fun of research.

                          Whats the best: I can do it on the couch ;-)

                          I once thought about translating the cookbook of Sabina Welserin, but fortunately found out that it has been translated already before I started on the project. At this time I was very much into the german late medieval cooking field, and of course came across Rumpolt, who is definitely, from what I can tell, the most popular original cookbook used here in germany.
                          It was quite a surprise to me that Welserin was translated yet, but Rumpolt wasnt.

                          Even though I moved on to another time and place in my cooking (I am currently in Romes fine Kitchen after exploring the early period Arabs) I would love to help this translation a bit and maybe also to learn more about translatig such old texts.

                          Greets

                          Robyn (will take some time to go through the translation now ;-) )

                          Seit ich das Wort "Dings" kenne kann ich ALLES erklären!

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 30, 2012

                            >It was quite a surprise to me that Welserin was translated yet, but
                            >Rumpolt wasnt.

                            I think the difference is that Rumpolt is so much bigger than
                            Welserin, 1952 recipes instead of 205. 500 pages instead of maybe a
                            dozen. Gwen Cat translated several chapters before I started.. but
                            it's a huge book.

                            Ranvaig
                          • Nicole Uhl
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 30, 2012
                              yes it defo is.....

                              sorry my facebook is acting up again so I have to spam all of you with questions XD

                              I figured that passages in the originals you marked red are the one you are not sure about how to translate them?

                              with a bummer as big as this I might start on these, cause reading the first pages of translation the ones NOT marked red are translated quite accordingly... the ones in red have "huh?"s.
                              so I will go for all stuff marked red for now, and THEN compare it to your translation. in my bad english XD.

                              you are gonna have fun reading this but I hope I can get along the MEANING of it, and you put it into nice english words. that a deal? :-)

                              Robyn

                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 30, 2012
                                >yes it defo is.....
                                >
                                >sorry my facebook is acting up again so I have to spam all of you
                                >with questions XD

                                Questions here are always fine. It's probably easier to talk in one place.

                                >I figured that passages in the originals you marked red are the one
                                >you are not sure about how to translate them?

                                The words in red on the cover, were printed in red in the original.
                                No more or less unsure than any other words.

                                Things I'm unsure of are marked with "??"
                                or "##" for typos or places the original is illegible.

                                In general, I think my translations are much better for actual
                                recipes than when Rumpolt goes off on prose.. I've tried to translate
                                some of it, but it gets difficult.

                                >you are gonna have fun reading this but I hope I can get along the
                                >MEANING of it, and you put it into nice english words. that a deal?
                                >:-)

                                I am *very* grateful for any help you can give.

                                Ranvaig
                              • Susan Fox
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 30, 2012
                                  On 4/30/2012 8:22 AM, Sharon Palmer wrote:

                                  > >Welcome to Cooking Rumpolt, We have a couple of new members. The
                                  > >translations are in the File section for download. Feel free to ask
                                  > >questions. Mostly I talk about translation issues, but I *love* to
                                  > >hear about people using the recipes, or even just reading them.
                                  > >

                                  > And more new members. Welcome Selene and Robin of Rye.
                                  >
                                  > Ranvaig

                                  Thank you! I find translation and interpretation so very interesting.

                                  Dame Selene Colfox, OP, Lux Caidis and other local cookery awards.
                                  Outside of the SCA: managing editor of Hollywood News Calendar, former
                                  board member of the Culinary Historians of Southern California. Will
                                  cook anything, any century. Want to brace up my German culinary
                                  knowledge and explore Austrian cooking history also, having grown up
                                  with an "auntie" from Innsbruck who inspired me from about age 10 onwards.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Selene

                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 6, 2012
                                    Welcome to krisattiac

                                    >Comment from user:
                                    >Long-time member of the sca-cooks list, sporadically active in the
                                    >Carolingian Cooks Guild. I'd like to add Rumpolt to the cookbooks from
                                    >which I experiment.

                                    I hope you enjoy Rumpolt. Please feel free to introduce yourself, or
                                    ask any questions. I'd love to hear about any Rumpolt cooking you do.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 12, 2014
                                      Welcome to several new members to the list. It's been pretty quiet,
                                      since I haven't been actively working on the translation lately. The
                                      current version includes all menus and recipes, but most of the
                                      introduction remains to be translated. (I've set myself a challenge
                                      to at least do a first draft by the end of 2015).

                                      Let me know if you have any trouble downloading the files. The
                                      "improvements" to Yahoo have made it harder than it used to be. If
                                      you can't download, I'll be happy to email the files.