Re: [cooking_rumpolt] Zugemüß 19.-21 Beans

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2009
      > > Zugemüß 19. Bonen gekocke mit Rindtfleischbrüh
      >> vn~ Speck/ der klein geschnitten/ auch mit grünen
      >> wolschmeckenden Kräutern/ die klein gehackt seyn.
      >> Beans cooked with beef broth and bacon/ that is
      >> cut small/ also with green well tasting herbs/
      >> that are chopped small.
      >> Probably Old world beans, possibly cowpeas (Vigna unguiculata)
      >
      >When I brought the issue of beans up on the German (as in German/based
      >in Germany) Culinary Recreation YahooGroup the general consensus was
      >that the most probable bean here would be a black eyed pea (or other
      >Old World cowpea).

      This group sounds interesting. Is the discussion
      in German? I'm not sure my German is up to
      general conversation, but I might try. I
      searched for "German Culinary Recreation" and
      didn't find it. Could you please post the URL?

      >I have made a Rumpolt bean dish with the BEP and it has gone over very
      >well. So well, in fact, that the recipe has been reproduced by several
      >different feast cooks in several different feasts.

      We talked about it here awhile ago, but I'm
      afraid I didn't scroll back and re-read the
      discussion. I'll change that to say BEP or other
      cowpeas. Thanks for the help.

      Ranvaig
    • Barbara Benson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2009
        > This group sounds interesting.  Is the discussion
        > in German?  I'm not sure my German is up to
        > general conversation, but I might try.  I
        > searched for "German Culinary Recreation" and
        > didn't find it.  Could you please post the URL?

        Yes, all of the discussion was in German, but they were kind enough to
        tolerate my English posts and attempt to answer me in English. I was
        specifically invited to join the group when I was working on a German
        feast several years ago. Apparently I asked a complicated enough
        question regarding a Rumpoldt recipe to convince one of the members to
        think I might actually know what I was talking about ;).

        Unfortunately, the group is now defunct. It still exists, but has been
        nothing but spam for the last couple of years. It is possible they
        moved it elsewhere and the announcement was in German so I did not
        figure it out. I seriously doubt that there is anyone even accepting
        new members but here is the bit from the bottom of the page:

        Group Mail-Adressen
        Beitrag senden: mittelalterlich-kochen@...
        Abonnieren: mittelalterlich-kochen-subscribe@...
        Listengründer: mittelalterlich-kochen-owner@...

        The entire interface is in German and I got by by assuming that
        everything was where it's counterpart in English resides.

        Good luck,
        Serena
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2009
          >Unfortunately, the group is now defunct.

          That's a shame. Maybe some of them will find this group eventually.