Re: Introductions

  • mistresspagangraeme
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
      My turn: My name is Pagan Graeme (Mistress of the Pelican, in case
      you were wondering about the email addy). I am from the Barony of
      Bergental in the Kingdom of the East (mundanely Western
      Massachusetts). I dabble. Since I like to eat, I am interested in
      food. (German food is good. They have vegetables.) I am currently
      reviving the local cooks' guild. Next year at Pennsic, we hope to
      host the House Runnymeade dinner - the East kingdom territorial
      baronage and the guild will be creating the menu. I think German
      would be cool and Rumpolt has so many items to choose from!

      Thank you for creating this list and letting me join. I'll be letting
      my guild know about it too. I look forward to many discussions.
      Gise, I've only done one feast (not reserved) and one lunch
      (researched) so far, neither one was German and I don't read, write or
      understand the language.

      YIS,

      Pagan
    • pilgrimpel
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2007
        Greetings!
        I'm Rose Marian of Edgewater, currently hailing from the Kingdom of
        Northshield.

        My persona is 16th century and has an English father and a German
        mother, who cooked in her father's Inn in the Black Forest before Dad
        came to visit on his travels, and took her back to England with him.

        I've been exploring more of the German side of my persona over that
        couple of years.

        I have Melitta Weiss Adamson's translation of "Ein Buch von Guter Spise"
        and the Hugo Stopp edition of "Das Kochbuch der Sabina Welserin".
        Ihad the wonderful fortune of meeting Gwen Cat last October at the KW
        Cooks & Bard's Symposium in Ealdormere. She introduced me to Rumpolt's
        work then, so I've started playing with this new (to me) source.

        As to German language, I had 3 years of German in high school, and
        another one in college. I can muddle through, with a German-English
        dictionary, and I have couple I found at used book sales over the years
        (one is circa WW I, the other is circa WW II.)
        Recipe translation attempts is the only thing I get to use it for
        anymore. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, and
        please don't ask me to carry on a conversation in German (it would just
        frustrate both of us.)

        Here in Northshield, there is a wonderful lady named Lady Mechthild zur
        Drachenhoehle, whom is a scholar in Middle High German (she's a
        transplant from Germany, and is a retired college professor in MHG and
        medieval German history. Her "nickname" is Erilar, as she can write and
        read runes too, and she's known in the Bardic community (Minnesang is
        her specialty, and she's a lovely harpist.) I can contact her with
        translation questions in a pinch, but I try not to do it too often.
        She likes to help, but I don't want to abuse her good nature.)

        I haven't done a feast of German recipes yet, but I'm doing a course
        mostly from Das Buch von Guter Spise as part of our Boar's Head feast
        this December.

        I'm pleased to meet all of you!
        I'm looking forward to our discussions.

        Rose Marian
        Northshield
      • Lady Bryn Ni MacRose
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2007
          Guten Tag,

          Ok, now that I have almost exhausted my knowledge of German. Bryn Ni
          MacRose, reporting in from the Barony of Thescorre, Kingdom of
          AEthelmearc. Mundanely I am known as Toni Erwin in Rochester, NY.
          As far as cooking in the SCA goes- I have done lots of helping, some
          research - not as much as I would like but then I could become a
          research nut if I could figure out how to make it pay the mortgage
          that or control time to my liking. I have planned / been the head
          cook for feasts in and outside of my local group.

          Personal goals in cooking- to try to do a documentable feast from
          every culture and the bigger one to cook in every kingdom of the
          known world. (I have almost reached the half way mark)

          I have not as of yet done much planning for a German feast but it is
          something I am very interested in doing for a number of reasons.
          First, I am the head of the local cooks guild and want to encourage
          the cooks in my area to expand their horizons and the best way to
          lead is by example. Second, there has only been one or two German
          feasts in the greater Upstate NY area both of which were well
          received. The one done by Baroness Elisabeth Johanna von der
          Flossenburg and her husband was many years ago now. Then there is my
          own personal growth, I had tremendous fun doing the research for my
          Italian feast and now I want to tackle a new challenge. Lastly I had
          the extreme good fortune to sit in on a presentation given by
          Mistress Gwen Cat while attending the symposium out in Colorado about
          three years ago. The symposium was without question worth every
          minute of one of the worst flying experiences I have ever had!

          Ranvaig, your feast sounds yummy and I look forward to hearing more
          about it. In the mean time, yes, most of the people in my area were
          at an event this weekend. We had a very nice feast of simple fare
          put together by one of the less experienced cooks in the area and I
          am very proud of how she did. Everyone loved the food. The roast
          Wilber (pig) was a huge hit. Bonus - She was smart and delegated
          well.

          I hope that others had as enjoyable a weekend as we did here.

          Bryn

          --- In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, ranvaig@... wrote:

          > Less than two days and we are up to 38 people on the list already.
          It seems like a good time for introductions.

          > I am Ranvaig the Weaver, in Tirnewydd Midrealm, mundanely Sharon
          Palmer in Columbus Ohio. I was inspired by Mistress Gwen Cat's and
          Dr Gloning's sites and have been reading the cook books for a while.
          In Feb, I had a chance to make a bid for feast a local event, and
          decided to polish up a "fantasy" menu that I had started several
          years ago, mostly based on Welserin. At that point my German was
          rusty to almost nonexistent. I started trying to translate some of
          the documents on Dr. Gloning's site and after a while, realized that
          as much as he had, it was only PART of the book. Then I found Master
          Tirloch's transcriptions, and started translating the "interesting
          bits". And again realized that it was only part of the book. I
          ordered my own copy from Germany which got here a month or so ago.
          So far I've transcribed the menu's and started the translation, and
          started transcribing and translating the Vogel section, particularly
          chicken.

          > I just had my feast bid accepted, so Red Dragon (also Columbus Oh),
          on Sept 22 will have a German feast. I still have to test cook, pick
          a recipe for the chicken and the pork, and pick sauces and subtleties.

          > Red Dragon menu:
          >
          > First course:
          > Bread, flavored butter, and preserves,
          > Plate of marinated veggies and salad: boiled eggs (R23), endive
          (R1), lemons (R27), radish (r44), cukes (r20), red cabbage (r33),
          cauliflower (r47), beets (R29), asparagus (R15), and such
          > Laid around the salad: Rinderbraten (R41), Schinken (smoked ham),
          Liver sausage (W26), cured Salmon, and such

          > Second course - small roasts:
          > Homemade Bratwurst (W25)
          > Roast chicken
          > Rice in almond milk (r173)
          > Roast carrots and parsnips (r182, 183)
          > Mustard, horseradish, and other sauces
          > Hungarian torte _with many leaves (layers) (R25)
          >
          > Third course - large roasts:
          > Fish in rye pastry, shaped like a fish (w64, 65)
          > Roast Pork
          > Boiled chard and cheese dumplings (w119)
          > Vegetable dish
          >
          > Last course:
          > Fresh and preserved fruit, Nuts, Confits, Pastries
          >
          > Now its YOUR turn. If you have cooked or translated any German
          recipes, please share. I'm starting everyone as moderated, until you
          have posted, so the sooner you introduce yourself, the sooner the
          moderation ends.