Eitel and Lauter

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2013
      A Facebook group brought up a recipe in Das
      Kochbuch des Meisters Eberhard translated by
      Volker Bach.

      ><<R13>>
      >Wiltu machen ein gestrocztes gepachens.
      >So mach ein teyck von eytell eyernn vnd wurcz
      >in wol vnd mach in gel vnd warmm duczent gutter
      >helmm in den teick, das sie naß werdenn,
      >vnd nym sie dann her auß vnd pack es in einem
      >schmalcz vnd versalcz nit.
      >If you want to make /gestrocztes/ fritters
      >Make a batter of plenty of eggs and season it
      >well, and color it yellow. Throw a dozen good
      >/helmm/ (mushroom caps?) into the batter, so
      >that they are wet (covered in it), and then take
      >them out and bake them in lard, and do not
      >oversalt it.

      In my usual fashion, I focused on a word that
      didn't effect the discussion. "Eytell" which he
      translates as "plenty".

      Eitel is a word that Rumpolt uses, that I didn't have a good translation for

      >Geiß 30. Schneidt das Fleisch von der
      >Hinterkeul/ vnnd hacks gar klein mit einem
      >Nierenfeißt/ von der jungen Geiß/ hastu nit gnug
      >daran/ so nim~ von dem Kälbern feißt/ hack das
      >klein durcheinander/ vn~ nim~ kein Gewürtz
      >darein/ als nur Saltz vnd Eyer/ hack es auch
      >durcheinander/ vnd nim~ eytel Eyer darzu/ biß
      >daß gar fleust/
      >
      >30. Cut the meat from the hind leg/ and chop it
      >very small with a kidney fat/ from the young
      >goat/ if you do not have enough from it/ then
      >take from the calf fat/ chop it small together/
      >and take not spice in it/ than only salt and
      >eggs/ chop it together/ and take eitel** eggs to
      >it/ until it completely flows/
      >
      >** per EHNG eitel = vain, which doesn't make
      >sense to me here. Adelung also says "Das Brot
      >eitel essen" means without butter, but still
      >seems wrong.

      I did some searching, and found an interesting
      article about the words "eitel" and "lauter"

      http://books.google.com/books?id=eU26q2G4PusC&pg=PT305&dq=%22eitel+eyer%22&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3

      The gist is that Lauter and Eitel are synonyms in
      the early language, and undergo similar changes
      in meaning. It verifies that in period cookery
      books, the correct meaning for "lauter" is "pure,
      unmixed".

      also on page 299,
      2) Mache einen Teig von eitel Eyern vnd schönem
      Mehel/ reib Lebkuchen drunder/ knits mit einem
      gesotten Honigwein [Make a dough of eitel 'pure,
      unmixed" eggs and nice flour, put gingerbread in
      it and knead it with cooked mead]. Glonig: 1566,
      Kock vnd Kellermeisterey.

      Google Books only shows a preview, not the whole
      article. I've requested it from Interlibrary
      loan, we'll see if they can get it. I'd like to
      see the rest of the discussion on "eitel".

      Then there is that word "gestrocztes". Any ideas on that?