Re: [cooking_rumpolt] translation/interpretation question

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2013
      Cat wanted to see the original and said
      "It specified ein wenig that is a little I would
      think a barrel would take a lot but I don't know
      and yes it says smear not pour or lay in. ...
      feel free to forward or i will try to get to it
      later now that the original is there"

      Ranvaig

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2013

        Strictly speaking, " schmiers ein wenig mit Baumöl/" means "rub it a bit with olive oil", not "rub it with a little olive oil". There's no specification of the amount of oil you are supposed to use.

        Best regards,

        Christina

        ---In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, <cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        The original and translation

        Schweinen 33. Nim~ Fleisch vom wilden Schwein/
        schneidts klein/ vnd nim~ die grosten Därm vom
        Schwein/ schneidt das Fleisch vnnd Feißt klein/
        nim~ ein Holtz/ vnd zerstoß klein/ klopff
        Pfeffer/ daß er voneinander fellt/ thu jn vnter
        das Saltz/ vnd reib das Schweinen Fleisch darmit/

        33. Take meat from the wild pig/ cut it small/
        and take the large intestine from the pig/ cut
        the meat and fat small/ take a stick and pound
        small/ crack pepper/ that it falls apart/ put it
        with the salt/ and rub the pork meat with it (and
        presumably stuff into the intestine)/

        bindt den Darm fest vbereinander/ hengs darnach
        auff/ vnnd laß trucken werden/ thu es in kein
        Hitz/ sondern nur da der Rauch hinschlegt. Vnd
        wenn du es lang wilt behalten/ sonderlich in
        einer Besatzung/ so schmiers ein wenig mit
        Baumöl/ schlags in ein Faß eyn/

        tie the intestine tightly over over each other/
        then hang it up/ and let become dry/ put it in no
        heat/ but just that the smoke hits. And when you
        want to keep (store) it long/ especially in a
        company/ then smear it with a little olive oil/
        enclose it in a barrel/

        so kanstu ein nach der andern herauß nemmen/ vnnd
        sieden lassen ein stundt drey oder vier/ darnach
        die Wurst groß ist/ laß sie kalt werden/ so
        kanstu davon essen/ wie lang du es behalten wilt.

        then you can take out one after the other/ and
        let boil an hour three or four/ because?? the
        sausage is large/ let them become cold/then you
        can eat them/ as long as you will keep (store)
        them.

        Ranvaig
      • Channon Mondoux
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2013
          I was reading this posting http://forums.egullet.org/topic/125619-green-mold-on-dry-cured-sausages/
          about Italian sausages and mold and wiping  them down with oil- this seems to be what happens when you store a sausage (please note proper temp and humidity are pertinent to a healthy cured sausage) it WILL turn moldy and should and then you wipe them down with oil when you store it- and then again before eating you should be washing it.

          Read the whole post and you'll get what I mean. There is a natural fermentation happening along with a natural mold growth on the outside of the sausage- You MUST also use proper levels of Nitrates to prevent botulism.

          --
          Channon Mondoux

          "If you endeavor to live the life of which you have imagined, you will find success unknown in common hours."  H.D. Thoreau

          269-547-0339

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2013
            FANTASTIC!
            and good point about 'wiping it a little with olive oil' instead of 'wiping it with a little olive oil'.
            Channon, I had not heard of the technique but it makes much more sense to me than submerging it in olive oil.

            Ranvaig, I dont recall Rumpolt ever mentioning nitrates, (though I use curing salt when I made modern cold smoked pork loins...)  What do you think, is it just assumed? Am I not seeing something?

            Curious
            Gwen pre coffee... neeeeeeed coffee Cat

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2013
              Correction noted, thank you, Christina.

              >FANTASTIC!
              >and good point about 'wiping it a little with olive oil' instead of
              >'wiping it with a little olive oil'.
              >Channon, I had not heard of the technique but it makes much more
              >sense to me than submerging it in olive oil.

              It is possible he mentions nitrate, but I didn't recognize the
              reference. I'll double check the recipes.

              >Ranvaig, I dont recall Rumpolt ever mentioning nitrates, (though I
              >use curing salt when I made modern cold smoked pork loins...) What
              >do you think, is it just assumed? Am I not seeing something?

              Wonderful article!

              >I was reading this posting
              >http://forums.egullet.org/topic/125619-green-mold-on-dry-cured-sausages/

              Ranvaig
            • cfaolbran
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013

                ---In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, <cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                >It is possible he mentions nitrate, but I didn't recognize the
                reference. I'll double check the recipes.

                It is very rare to see nitrites referenced. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any actually. When you look at the composition of the salt available in this period and earlier, in particularly quarried salts, nitrites and nitrates occur naturally in semi-useful quantities. Cold smoking introduces more of each but penetration is dependant on moisture etc. etc. Saltpeter (potassium nitrate) was very occasionally referenced as a cure compound though the source is escaping me at the moment - chime in if you happen to recall!

                While sodium nitrite is effective at preventing botlism it isn't the only thing that does, it works in concert with the fermentation process, smoking and salting.
              • cfaolbran
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013

                  Sorry - forgot to identify myself! (Kolbrunna)

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013
                    Thanks, wondered if it was something like this (where it was naturally occurring)
                    Of course now I want to make and smoke sausages (and I have too little time and too many things on my plate... MUST get that German Xmas feast on paper so I can get it published and pre-sales started...

                    Gwen What was I thinking Cat