Eyngemacht

  • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2009
      Sorry for the long silence. Lately, I have been pondering Rumpolt again, specifically the meaning of "Eyngemacht".

      As we have discussed before, modernly it means pickled, canned, or preserved. In Rumpolt sweets are "eyngemacht" in sugar, but its not so clear exactly what it means for savory dishes to be "eynmachten". I found this reference that makes me wonder.

      Allerley kleine Vögel die lebendig seyn/ in einer Pasteten eyngemacht kalt.
      Assorted small birds that are living/ "eingemacht" cold in a pie

      --- live birds, so they can't have been preserved, pickled, marinated, or even sauced!!

      Ranvaig
    • otsisto

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2009
          no, he definetely specifies small birds that are ALIVE!  the word he uses is Lebendig from Leben meaning Life or to live.

          Im inclined to think of a subtelty as well.  Bake the pie (shell), cool it,  then make (put) the birds into the pie.  serve cold (and let the birds jump out).

          Gwen Cat

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 8, 2009
            >no, he definetely specifies small birds that are ALIVE! the word he uses is Lebendig from Leben meaning Life or to live.
            >
            >Im inclined to think of a subtelty as well. Bake the pie (shell), cool it, then make (put) the birds into the pie. serve cold (and let the birds jump out).

            Yes, I think it is a subtlety. But why use the word "eyngemacht"?

            Ranvaig
          • sandy_walden
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 8, 2009
              the birds are "enclosed" or 'sealed' in the pastry. In some of the recipies I have been looking at sealed/enclosed are terms similiar to those for types of preservation methods.

              Isillin

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 8, 2009
                That Im not sure how to answer.  WISH we could ask him in person ;-)
                Wild guesses on my part could include:
                Perhaps because you preserve (keep them safe) the birds alive in the shell.
                Perhaps eynmachen was a variation of rein-machen. da-rein machen  to put thereto or there-in (like you put the comfits into sugar...)

                curious but not a linguist of Thoma's talents
                Gwen Cat

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 8, 2009
                  >That Im not sure how to answer. WISH we could ask him in person ;-)
                  >Wild guesses on my part could include:
                  >Perhaps because you preserve (keep them safe) the birds alive in the shell.
                  >Perhaps eynmachen was a variation of rein-machen. da-rein machen to put thereto or there-in (like you put the comfits into sugar...)
                  >
                  >curious but not a linguist of Thoma's talents

                  I would like to ask him, but the last time I asked him a question he was too busy to answer, so I hesitate to bother him again.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 9, 2009
                    --- In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, ranvaig@... wrote:

                    > Sorry for the long silence. Lately, I have been pondering Rumpolt again, specifically the meaning of "Eyngemacht".
                    >
                    > As we have discussed before, modernly it means pickled, canned, or preserved. In Rumpolt sweets are "eyngemacht" in sugar, but its not so clear exactly what it means for savory dishes to be "eynmachten". I found this reference that makes me wonder.
                    >
                    > Allerley kleine Vögel die lebendig seyn/ in einer Pasteten eyngemacht kalt.
                    > Assorted small birds that are living/ "eingemacht" cold in a pie
                    >
                    > --- live birds, so they can't have been preserved, pickled, marinated, or even sauced!!
                    >
                    > Ranvaig

                    It's the same as with the recipe with the live rabbit in the pie, isn't it? The rabbit was also "eyngemacht". And the recipe said the rabbit would hop out so it must have been alive.

                    Best regards,

                    Christina