Re: [cooking_rumpolt] 5 days till A&S lunch rambling request for feedback

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
      >the medium rare I prefer...) so slice it thin, and the horseradish
      >cream (krehn?) should help with the dry.

      You didn't quite ask, but Krehn means horseradish, not horseradish cream.

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
        thank you, I did mean to ask.
        hm ok so just grated and a little vinegar.  poo I like it better mixed with some cream or better yet sour cream for the extra moisture and it cuts the heat/sharpness

        Gwen make the headache go away Cat

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
          >thank you, I did mean to ask.
          >hm ok so just grated and a little vinegar. poo I like it better
          >mixed with some cream or better yet sour cream for the extra
          >moisture and it cuts the heat/sharpness
          >
          >Gwen make the headache go away Cat

          This is given for salmon.

          Grate the horseradish with almonds/ dissolve it in a pea broth and
          wine vinegar/ put fresh butter/ that is unclarified/ and a little
          cream/ set on coals/ and let become warm/ until the butter melts.

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
            that sounds tasty!
            thank you!

            Did we have the pea broth discussion here? (have a headache, and this crud, and cant think or remember...)

            Gwen cat

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
              >that sounds tasty!
              >thank you!
              >
              >Did we have the pea broth discussion here? (have a headache, and
              >this crud, and cant think or remember...)
              >
              >Gwen cat

              I don't remember discussing it, but when I cooked whole peas, the
              broth was clear. Obviously German kitchens cooled large quantities
              of peas, and and lots of broth available. I think vegetable stock
              would be a reasonable substitute.

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                hm so the last time I did some salads (in 2000) I used:

                Lentil Salad - 36. Roman Wicken (Bot. Vicia sativa L.) [Common Vetch, the seeds seem to be
                similar to red lentils, but may well be slightly toxic] [I used lentils] and
                poach them well in their shells/ cool them/ and season them with vinegar/ salt
                and oil.
                1/2 C lentils
                1/4 C vinegar (cider)
                1/8 C oil (olive)
                Salt to taste
                Pick over your lentils (to remove stones), then rinse well. In a pot simmer
                till done (45 minutes?) drain and cool them, then dress with vinegar and oil
                and serve.

                you translate as below, but I am curious what is Roman vetch??? I was using lentils based on what I found 13 years ago,

                Salat 36. Römische
                Wicken quell wol mit den Hülsen/ kül sie auß/ vnd mach sie ab mit Essig/ Saltz
                vnd Öel.

                36. Roman vetch parboil well with the pods/ cool them off/ and
                mix with vinegar/ salt and oil.

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                  >you translate as below, but I am curious what is
                  >Roman vetch??? I was using lentils based on what
                  >I found 13 years ago,
                  >
                  >Salat 36. Römische
                  >Wicken quell wol mit den Hülsen/ kül sie auß/ vnd mach sie ab mit Essig/ Saltz
                  >vnd Öel.
                  >
                  >36. Roman vetch parboil well with the pods/ cool them off/ and
                  >mix with vinegar/ salt and oil.

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicia

                  From ENHG
                  wicke die

                  the pulse bitter vetch
                  Dasypodius Dictionarium Strasbourg 1535 56v1
                  Eruum, Ein gemüß gleych wie wick / das man dem
                  vich zu? f?ter sa?het.
                  L 3:819;

                  From Grimm

                  WICKE, f. , vicia, die bekannte pflanze. mit
                  zahlreichem anderen sach- und wortlehngut aus dem
                  bereich des römischen acker- und gartenbaus
                  dringt lat. vicia (woraus it. veccia, frz. vesce)
                  früh, als v noch die geltung von w und c vor i
                  noch k-aussprache hatte, ins westgerm.
                  (Kluge-Mitzka etym. wb. d. dt. spr. 17858): ahd.
                  wikcha, wicka; as. wicka; mhd., mnd., mnl. wicke
                  (engl. vetch entstammt dem altnordfrz. veche).
                  aus dem dt. sind dän. vikke, schwed. vicker
                  (selten auch vicka) entlehnt.
                  das genus ist durchweg das fem.;

                  Lentils sound like a reasonable substitute.
                  Might be interesting to try vetch sometime, but
                  I'm not sure how easy/cheap vetch is to find. Or
                  which of several varieties is meant.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                    thank you
                    I was beginning to second guess myself (this stuffy head thing apparently is impacting my ability to think more than I had thought)

                    I think my starch will be this, made with lentils.  I know it is tasty and served cold it will work fine.  Not as adventuresome as I had hoped but at this point I am going for simple and tasty.  (if I was doing it just for me I would add onion or garlic...)

                    Just found out the royals will be there.  He speaks and reads German (when I was fought for in crown we sent our letter in German and processed to a herald proclaiming in German and his Majesty replied in kind :) it was fun, but now I want to make sure I do it right!

                    Gwen trying to lead by example Cat

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                      >thank you
                      >I was beginning to second guess myself (this stuffy head thing
                      >apparently is impacting my ability to think more than I had thought)
                      >
                      >I think my starch will be this, made with lentils. I know it is
                      >tasty and served cold it will work fine. Not as adventuresome as I
                      >had hoped but at this point I am going for simple and tasty. (if I
                      >was doing it just for me I would add onion or garlic...)
                      >
                      >Just found out the royals will be there. He speaks and reads German
                      >(when I was fought for in crown we sent our letter in German and
                      >processed to a herald proclaiming in German and his Majesty replied
                      >in kind :) it was fun, but now I want to make sure I do it right!
                      >
                      >Gwen trying to lead by example Cat

                      Wrapping my head around the idea that lentils are "starch". But it
                      sounds like a good side dish.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                        well ok, not in the way that rice, potatoes, or pasta is, but my mom makes a 'stew' or 'eintopf'  (one pot dish) of lentils.  so in my head it is a good filling (starch)
                        no, not explaining very well.  maybe it is a me-ism.

                      • Alesone Gray
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                          If you use dried split peas, you get a very lovely pea broth.

                          Alesone