Re: [cooking_rumpolt] 5 days till A&S lunch rambling request for feedback

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 18, 2013
      >hm thanks for the pie lesson. had not considered puff pastry since
      >I am thinking mini tarts - the 1" ones I dont know that there would
      >not just puff with o filling left in the middle.

      You can roll the puff pastry thinner. Or press down the middle.

      Or get wonton skins or round gyoza skins. Cut to size if needed.
      Spray the pan with cooking spray, push in a wonton skin, spray again,
      and fill it. They bake up thin and crispy, and hold pretty well, and
      are easy and fast to make.

      >I should not have cooked yesterday, slicing my finger (typing sux),
      >and I overcooked the beef roast - I never overcook beef, but not
      >my day.

      Stuff like that always happens at the worst time.

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 18, 2013
        gyoza!  DOH!   WIN!!!!!
        sounds like they do not need prebaked?  so put the wonton in, put a strawberry, or some diced apple, in and bake... 350 for 12-15?

        purr
        Gwen but not tonight Cat

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 18, 2013
          >gyoza! DOH! WIN!!!!!
          >sounds like they do not need prebaked? so put the wonton in, put a
          >strawberry, or some diced apple, in and bake... 350 for 12-15?
          >
          >purr
          >Gwen but not tonight Cat

          I'd test bake a few, but I don't think so. Don't forget to spray the
          inside before baking them. Gyoza are thinner than wonton skins, and
          should make nice mini-tarts. And they aren't that different than
          Oblat that are used for baked things in period.

          Ranvaig
        • Dama Antonia
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 18, 2013
            On 17/03/2013 7:22 a.m., tgrcat2001 wrote:

            > soup - am thinking pea soup, vegan (I use green peas, onion, olive oil, salt (and may toss in carrots for color and texture, but not in the original) HOWVER I know at least one of my guests is not fond of pea soup.. any other thoughts???
            >
            > salad - probably butter head and possibly some red cabbage or radicchio for a rose (I think the crowns will attend)
            >
            > hard cooked eggs (though it is almost Easter, eggs have gone up in price)
            >
            > sour kraut with bratwurst laid around (cooked separate for the no pork types, though I may be able to get chicken brats - thoughts?
            > and not everyone likes saurkraut.. so I want a second option, but I dont think the menus have any.. they have cabbage or saurkraut and peas...
            >
            > tempted by beef with horseradish, but not sure how I would want to cook it, and it would be served cold/room temp and sliced very thin (thoughts?) OR
            > had thought chicken but it is not as nice cold, dont really want to smoke it, cant cook on site, and store roasted are getting very pricey for what I want.
            >
            > probably a dish of pickled beets (I get requests for mine, and they are from Rumpolt and listed in one of the menus.)
            >
            > Thoughts on a starch? I do have bread planned, home made pretzel rolls (not documented but tasty) and a store bought french or rye
            >
            > and something sweet, possibly mini tarts with strawberries
            > and apples and pears or some kind of fruit.

            Those are all things I'd happily serve. As for food preferences...
            Those who do not like the pea soup should be welcome to eat the foods
            that are not pea soup.
            Those who do not eat pork should confine themselves to the things that
            are not pork.
            Those who do not like sauerkraut should enjoy the foods that are not
            sauerkraut.

            I hope you're sensing a theme, here :-)

            Beef roasted and served cold is very nice.
            I'm not sure I'd do horseradish *and* pickled beets *and* sauerkraut--
            I'd probably want one milder-tasting condiment.
            Bread should be enough carbs at lunchtime, I think, and I approve very
            much of rye bread.

            --
            Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
            ---------------------------
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 18, 2013
              Thank you.
              Well the beets are more of an accent. I have made them before and they have their fans, but I think 3 pints will be enough (expected headcount 50)
              The menu in rumpolt states to serve the beef with horseradish (and yes there is horseradish in the beets too come to think of it, and I think I overcooked the beef a bit (not to the burnt stage, but not the medium rare I prefer...) so slice it thin, and the horseradish cream (krehn?) should help with the dry.

              and I could not pass up the kraut with the st pat sale I picked up just under 16 lbs of green cabbage for under $3 - it is currently blupping in a LARGE glass jar in my sink, occasionally getting its feet warmed up with some hot water (the house is NOT at the preferred 74F for fermentation, but the kraut is definitely working, the bubbles rise and all the cabbage is now submerged in its own brine.  (I hope the trick of 'massaging' the salt into the cabbage speeds it up, either way, I think it will be tasty, even if it is only mildly sour)

              And yes, I only worry because I know one of the hosting baronesses is vegetarian, and while she does not make a fuss, I am fond of her and prefer to see her well fed (and the German recipes are not particularly vegetarian friendly, Also several attendees avoid pork (less of an issue with this menu) but again, my honor and pride are on the line.

              PURR
              Gwen tired of the cough NOW Cat

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                >the medium rare I prefer...) so slice it thin, and the horseradish
                >cream (krehn?) should help with the dry.

                You didn't quite ask, but Krehn means horseradish, not horseradish cream.

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                  thank you, I did mean to ask.
                  hm ok so just grated and a little vinegar.  poo I like it better mixed with some cream or better yet sour cream for the extra moisture and it cuts the heat/sharpness

                  Gwen make the headache go away Cat

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                    >thank you, I did mean to ask.
                    >hm ok so just grated and a little vinegar. poo I like it better
                    >mixed with some cream or better yet sour cream for the extra
                    >moisture and it cuts the heat/sharpness
                    >
                    >Gwen make the headache go away Cat

                    This is given for salmon.

                    Grate the horseradish with almonds/ dissolve it in a pea broth and
                    wine vinegar/ put fresh butter/ that is unclarified/ and a little
                    cream/ set on coals/ and let become warm/ until the butter melts.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                      that sounds tasty!
                      thank you!

                      Did we have the pea broth discussion here? (have a headache, and this crud, and cant think or remember...)

                      Gwen cat

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                        >that sounds tasty!
                        >thank you!
                        >
                        >Did we have the pea broth discussion here? (have a headache, and
                        >this crud, and cant think or remember...)
                        >
                        >Gwen cat

                        I don't remember discussing it, but when I cooked whole peas, the
                        broth was clear. Obviously German kitchens cooled large quantities
                        of peas, and and lots of broth available. I think vegetable stock
                        would be a reasonable substitute.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                          hm so the last time I did some salads (in 2000) I used:

                          Lentil Salad - 36. Roman Wicken (Bot. Vicia sativa L.) [Common Vetch, the seeds seem to be
                          similar to red lentils, but may well be slightly toxic] [I used lentils] and
                          poach them well in their shells/ cool them/ and season them with vinegar/ salt
                          and oil.
                          1/2 C lentils
                          1/4 C vinegar (cider)
                          1/8 C oil (olive)
                          Salt to taste
                          Pick over your lentils (to remove stones), then rinse well. In a pot simmer
                          till done (45 minutes?) drain and cool them, then dress with vinegar and oil
                          and serve.

                          you translate as below, but I am curious what is Roman vetch??? I was using lentils based on what I found 13 years ago,

                          Salat 36. Römische
                          Wicken quell wol mit den Hülsen/ kül sie auß/ vnd mach sie ab mit Essig/ Saltz
                          vnd Öel.

                          36. Roman vetch parboil well with the pods/ cool them off/ and
                          mix with vinegar/ salt and oil.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                            >you translate as below, but I am curious what is
                            >Roman vetch??? I was using lentils based on what
                            >I found 13 years ago,
                            >
                            >Salat 36. Römische
                            >Wicken quell wol mit den Hülsen/ kül sie auß/ vnd mach sie ab mit Essig/ Saltz
                            >vnd Öel.
                            >
                            >36. Roman vetch parboil well with the pods/ cool them off/ and
                            >mix with vinegar/ salt and oil.

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicia

                            From ENHG
                            wicke die

                            the pulse bitter vetch
                            Dasypodius Dictionarium Strasbourg 1535 56v1
                            Eruum, Ein gemüß gleych wie wick / das man dem
                            vich zu? f?ter sa?het.
                            L 3:819;

                            From Grimm

                            WICKE, f. , vicia, die bekannte pflanze. mit
                            zahlreichem anderen sach- und wortlehngut aus dem
                            bereich des römischen acker- und gartenbaus
                            dringt lat. vicia (woraus it. veccia, frz. vesce)
                            früh, als v noch die geltung von w und c vor i
                            noch k-aussprache hatte, ins westgerm.
                            (Kluge-Mitzka etym. wb. d. dt. spr. 17858): ahd.
                            wikcha, wicka; as. wicka; mhd., mnd., mnl. wicke
                            (engl. vetch entstammt dem altnordfrz. veche).
                            aus dem dt. sind dän. vikke, schwed. vicker
                            (selten auch vicka) entlehnt.
                            das genus ist durchweg das fem.;

                            Lentils sound like a reasonable substitute.
                            Might be interesting to try vetch sometime, but
                            I'm not sure how easy/cheap vetch is to find. Or
                            which of several varieties is meant.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                              thank you
                              I was beginning to second guess myself (this stuffy head thing apparently is impacting my ability to think more than I had thought)

                              I think my starch will be this, made with lentils.  I know it is tasty and served cold it will work fine.  Not as adventuresome as I had hoped but at this point I am going for simple and tasty.  (if I was doing it just for me I would add onion or garlic...)

                              Just found out the royals will be there.  He speaks and reads German (when I was fought for in crown we sent our letter in German and processed to a herald proclaiming in German and his Majesty replied in kind :) it was fun, but now I want to make sure I do it right!

                              Gwen trying to lead by example Cat

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                                >thank you
                                >I was beginning to second guess myself (this stuffy head thing
                                >apparently is impacting my ability to think more than I had thought)
                                >
                                >I think my starch will be this, made with lentils. I know it is
                                >tasty and served cold it will work fine. Not as adventuresome as I
                                >had hoped but at this point I am going for simple and tasty. (if I
                                >was doing it just for me I would add onion or garlic...)
                                >
                                >Just found out the royals will be there. He speaks and reads German
                                >(when I was fought for in crown we sent our letter in German and
                                >processed to a herald proclaiming in German and his Majesty replied
                                >in kind :) it was fun, but now I want to make sure I do it right!
                                >
                                >Gwen trying to lead by example Cat

                                Wrapping my head around the idea that lentils are "starch". But it
                                sounds like a good side dish.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                                  well ok, not in the way that rice, potatoes, or pasta is, but my mom makes a 'stew' or 'eintopf'  (one pot dish) of lentils.  so in my head it is a good filling (starch)
                                  no, not explaining very well.  maybe it is a me-ism.

                                • Alesone Gray
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                                    If you use dried split peas, you get a very lovely pea broth.

                                    Alesone