Re: [cooking_rumpolt] 5 days till A&S lunch rambling request for feedback

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 17, 2013

      >Lunch is Saturday (yes in one week) and while I may reheat in the
      >kitchen I may NOT cook in the kitchen at site.

      Sorry that I've been too frazzled to help before now.

      A Hungarian cheese soup with onions.

      46. Take a new cheese/ that was made overnight/ and stir it with sour
      cream/ put fresh Butter into it/ and let simmer together/ the cheese
      melts like this. And when you will dress it/ then take toasted sliced
      Bread/ or of weck bread/ and pour the broth over it/ like this it is
      a good Hungarian cheese soup.

      If you need a vegan dish:
      11. Take chickpeas/ particularly brown/ set it to (the fire) in the
      water/ and let it simmer well/ grind a half part/ and strain through
      with the broth/ that they simmered in/ mix with pepper/ salt/ butter/
      parsley roots/ and with the remaining whole chickpeas/ let simmer/
      until the parsley roots are done. If you wish to have it clear/ then
      you might not grind the chickpeas.

      6. Take spinach/ that is parboiled/ chop it small/ and stir it well
      with eggs/ take a pea broth/ that is peppered and yellowed/ pour the
      spinach into it and stir well/ until it comes to a boil/ lard and
      salt it/ then is it good and well tasting. And one calls it a Spinach
      soup.

      16. Take onions/ cut them finely wide and thin/ set them to (the
      fire) with water/ and when they are almost simmered/ then pour
      vinegar with it/ pepper and salt/ and lard with butter/ like this it
      is a good soup for a poor fellow.

      (could leave out the butter or fat).

      36. Take sour cherries/ crush them with the stone (or press out the
      stone??)/ they are dry or fresh/ strain it though with cinnamon and
      wine/ and make it well sweet/ let it simmer together/ it is good like
      this.

      40. Make a dough with eggs and with flour/ pour it in hot Butter
      though a foam spoon/ that has holes/ put not make brown/ but only
      nicely white. Take a good pea broth/ that is well tasting and mixed/
      and when you want to dress it in a dish/ then pour over the fried
      "peas" (meaning the fried pastry)/ so it becomes good and well
      tasting.

      Cabbage might be on sale this week:
      33. Take a red cabbage/ cut it very small/ parboil it a little in
      warm water/ cool it rapidly/ mix with vinegar and oil/ and when it
      lays awhile in the vinegar/ then it will be beautiful red.

      Various cooked apple or pear dishes

      A mushroom dish if your budget can handle it

      Cucumber salad

      Radish salad

      Pickles, especially if you can do homemade ones.

      See if you can get asparagus on sale. I think this would work cold too:

      Asparagus salad/ that is also parboiled/ and sliced small/ or
      prepared whole/ it is good in both manners. You can make it with a
      pea broth/ with a little butter/ pepper and vinegar/ give warm on a
      table.

      Boiled onion salad/ or roasted/ one makes sweet with white sugar/ or
      with little black raisins.

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 17, 2013
        Thanks
         hm typing will be interesting, I managed to pull a stupid and cut myself (put the big chef knife on the cutting board while I moved the shredded cabbage into the bowl... only this time put it blade in... and slid my finger up it    good sharp knive, nice clean cut.  OWWW

        had forgotten about the cucumber salad
        and the radish one
        actually had decided on the asparagus salad, now hoping I get a good sale!
        with the saurkraut (what I was slicing) I want to avoid a second cabbage dish.
        hmm chickpeas,  thanks that might be good
        have apples in dessert, though if I cant find someone with the pie gene I may switch dessert to the rice simmered in milk (I make cardboard not pie crust)
        dont have a current source for sour cherries
        might want to play with the cheese soup, but perhaps not this time Same with the  pasta bit soup.. it sounds yummy!

        thank you!

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 17, 2013
          >Thanks
          > hm typing will be interesting, I managed to pull a stupid and cut
          >myself (put the big chef knife on the cutting board while I moved
          >the shredded cabbage into the bowl... only this time put it blade
          >in... and slid my finger up it good sharp knive, nice clean cut.
          > OWWW

          Sorry about the cut finger, it always seems to happen at the worst time.

          >had forgotten about the cucumber salad
          >and the radish one
          >actually had decided on the asparagus salad, now hoping I get a good sale!

          If you serve it cold, I'd use olive oil, not butter.

          >with the saurkraut (what I was slicing) I want to avoid a second cabbage dish.
          >hmm chickpeas, thanks that might be good
          >have apples in dessert, though if I cant find someone with the pie
          >gene I may switch dessert to the rice simmered in milk (I make
          >cardboard not pie crust)

          Wish I could be there to help. I'm pretty good with pie crust. The
          trick is to handle it as little as possible once the water is in.
          And put in enough water to make a workable dough, but not too much.

          I usually make it in the crusinart, pulse flour and cubes of cold
          butter until it looks like cornmeal but still has butter somewhat
          visible. Add cold water, pulse again, but don't let the machine run
          enough to warm it up.

          Stop when it is somewhat crumbly, but will stick together as a soft
          dough, when you squeeze a handful. Dump the crumbs out onto a clean
          towel, press them together, use the towel to fold the edges in until
          it holds in one piece. Don't touch with your hands. Wrap and put in
          the fridge for an hour or more. Roll out and put into the pan.

          Or use commercial puff pastry. Which is close enough to Spanish pastry.

          >dont have a current source for sour cherries
          >might want to play with the cheese soup, but perhaps not this time

          Cherry prices are up too, last year's crop was bad.

          >Same with the pasta bit soup.. it sounds yummy!

          More like little crunchy croutons than pasta. But yes, probably too
          much work, and would need practise, although I think you could make
          the crunchy bits ahead.

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 18, 2013
            hm thanks for the pie lesson.  had not considered puff pastry  since I am thinking mini tarts - the 1" ones  I dont know that there would not just puff with o filling left in the middle.

            I should not have cooked yesterday, slicing my finger (typing sux), and I overcooked the beef roast - I never overcook beef, but    not my day.

            Purr
            Cat

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 18, 2013
              >hm thanks for the pie lesson. had not considered puff pastry since
              >I am thinking mini tarts - the 1" ones I dont know that there would
              >not just puff with o filling left in the middle.

              You can roll the puff pastry thinner. Or press down the middle.

              Or get wonton skins or round gyoza skins. Cut to size if needed.
              Spray the pan with cooking spray, push in a wonton skin, spray again,
              and fill it. They bake up thin and crispy, and hold pretty well, and
              are easy and fast to make.

              >I should not have cooked yesterday, slicing my finger (typing sux),
              >and I overcooked the beef roast - I never overcook beef, but not
              >my day.

              Stuff like that always happens at the worst time.

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 18, 2013
                gyoza!  DOH!   WIN!!!!!
                sounds like they do not need prebaked?  so put the wonton in, put a strawberry, or some diced apple, in and bake... 350 for 12-15?

                purr
                Gwen but not tonight Cat

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 18, 2013
                  >gyoza! DOH! WIN!!!!!
                  >sounds like they do not need prebaked? so put the wonton in, put a
                  >strawberry, or some diced apple, in and bake... 350 for 12-15?
                  >
                  >purr
                  >Gwen but not tonight Cat

                  I'd test bake a few, but I don't think so. Don't forget to spray the
                  inside before baking them. Gyoza are thinner than wonton skins, and
                  should make nice mini-tarts. And they aren't that different than
                  Oblat that are used for baked things in period.

                  Ranvaig
                • Dama Antonia
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 18, 2013
                    On 17/03/2013 7:22 a.m., tgrcat2001 wrote:

                    > soup - am thinking pea soup, vegan (I use green peas, onion, olive oil, salt (and may toss in carrots for color and texture, but not in the original) HOWVER I know at least one of my guests is not fond of pea soup.. any other thoughts???
                    >
                    > salad - probably butter head and possibly some red cabbage or radicchio for a rose (I think the crowns will attend)
                    >
                    > hard cooked eggs (though it is almost Easter, eggs have gone up in price)
                    >
                    > sour kraut with bratwurst laid around (cooked separate for the no pork types, though I may be able to get chicken brats - thoughts?
                    > and not everyone likes saurkraut.. so I want a second option, but I dont think the menus have any.. they have cabbage or saurkraut and peas...
                    >
                    > tempted by beef with horseradish, but not sure how I would want to cook it, and it would be served cold/room temp and sliced very thin (thoughts?) OR
                    > had thought chicken but it is not as nice cold, dont really want to smoke it, cant cook on site, and store roasted are getting very pricey for what I want.
                    >
                    > probably a dish of pickled beets (I get requests for mine, and they are from Rumpolt and listed in one of the menus.)
                    >
                    > Thoughts on a starch? I do have bread planned, home made pretzel rolls (not documented but tasty) and a store bought french or rye
                    >
                    > and something sweet, possibly mini tarts with strawberries
                    > and apples and pears or some kind of fruit.

                    Those are all things I'd happily serve. As for food preferences...
                    Those who do not like the pea soup should be welcome to eat the foods
                    that are not pea soup.
                    Those who do not eat pork should confine themselves to the things that
                    are not pork.
                    Those who do not like sauerkraut should enjoy the foods that are not
                    sauerkraut.

                    I hope you're sensing a theme, here :-)

                    Beef roasted and served cold is very nice.
                    I'm not sure I'd do horseradish *and* pickled beets *and* sauerkraut--
                    I'd probably want one milder-tasting condiment.
                    Bread should be enough carbs at lunchtime, I think, and I approve very
                    much of rye bread.

                    --
                    Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
                    ---------------------------
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 18, 2013
                      Thank you.
                      Well the beets are more of an accent. I have made them before and they have their fans, but I think 3 pints will be enough (expected headcount 50)
                      The menu in rumpolt states to serve the beef with horseradish (and yes there is horseradish in the beets too come to think of it, and I think I overcooked the beef a bit (not to the burnt stage, but not the medium rare I prefer...) so slice it thin, and the horseradish cream (krehn?) should help with the dry.

                      and I could not pass up the kraut with the st pat sale I picked up just under 16 lbs of green cabbage for under $3 - it is currently blupping in a LARGE glass jar in my sink, occasionally getting its feet warmed up with some hot water (the house is NOT at the preferred 74F for fermentation, but the kraut is definitely working, the bubbles rise and all the cabbage is now submerged in its own brine.  (I hope the trick of 'massaging' the salt into the cabbage speeds it up, either way, I think it will be tasty, even if it is only mildly sour)

                      And yes, I only worry because I know one of the hosting baronesses is vegetarian, and while she does not make a fuss, I am fond of her and prefer to see her well fed (and the German recipes are not particularly vegetarian friendly, Also several attendees avoid pork (less of an issue with this menu) but again, my honor and pride are on the line.

                      PURR
                      Gwen tired of the cough NOW Cat

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                        >the medium rare I prefer...) so slice it thin, and the horseradish
                        >cream (krehn?) should help with the dry.

                        You didn't quite ask, but Krehn means horseradish, not horseradish cream.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                          thank you, I did mean to ask.
                          hm ok so just grated and a little vinegar.  poo I like it better mixed with some cream or better yet sour cream for the extra moisture and it cuts the heat/sharpness

                          Gwen make the headache go away Cat

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                            >thank you, I did mean to ask.
                            >hm ok so just grated and a little vinegar. poo I like it better
                            >mixed with some cream or better yet sour cream for the extra
                            >moisture and it cuts the heat/sharpness
                            >
                            >Gwen make the headache go away Cat

                            This is given for salmon.

                            Grate the horseradish with almonds/ dissolve it in a pea broth and
                            wine vinegar/ put fresh butter/ that is unclarified/ and a little
                            cream/ set on coals/ and let become warm/ until the butter melts.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                              that sounds tasty!
                              thank you!

                              Did we have the pea broth discussion here? (have a headache, and this crud, and cant think or remember...)

                              Gwen cat

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                                >that sounds tasty!
                                >thank you!
                                >
                                >Did we have the pea broth discussion here? (have a headache, and
                                >this crud, and cant think or remember...)
                                >
                                >Gwen cat

                                I don't remember discussing it, but when I cooked whole peas, the
                                broth was clear. Obviously German kitchens cooled large quantities
                                of peas, and and lots of broth available. I think vegetable stock
                                would be a reasonable substitute.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                                  hm so the last time I did some salads (in 2000) I used:

                                  Lentil Salad - 36. Roman Wicken (Bot. Vicia sativa L.) [Common Vetch, the seeds seem to be
                                  similar to red lentils, but may well be slightly toxic] [I used lentils] and
                                  poach them well in their shells/ cool them/ and season them with vinegar/ salt
                                  and oil.
                                  1/2 C lentils
                                  1/4 C vinegar (cider)
                                  1/8 C oil (olive)
                                  Salt to taste
                                  Pick over your lentils (to remove stones), then rinse well. In a pot simmer
                                  till done (45 minutes?) drain and cool them, then dress with vinegar and oil
                                  and serve.

                                  you translate as below, but I am curious what is Roman vetch??? I was using lentils based on what I found 13 years ago,

                                  Salat 36. Römische
                                  Wicken quell wol mit den Hülsen/ kül sie auß/ vnd mach sie ab mit Essig/ Saltz
                                  vnd Öel.

                                  36. Roman vetch parboil well with the pods/ cool them off/ and
                                  mix with vinegar/ salt and oil.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                                    >you translate as below, but I am curious what is
                                    >Roman vetch??? I was using lentils based on what
                                    >I found 13 years ago,
                                    >
                                    >Salat 36. Römische
                                    >Wicken quell wol mit den Hülsen/ kül sie auß/ vnd mach sie ab mit Essig/ Saltz
                                    >vnd Öel.
                                    >
                                    >36. Roman vetch parboil well with the pods/ cool them off/ and
                                    >mix with vinegar/ salt and oil.

                                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicia

                                    From ENHG
                                    wicke die

                                    the pulse bitter vetch
                                    Dasypodius Dictionarium Strasbourg 1535 56v1
                                    Eruum, Ein gemüß gleych wie wick / das man dem
                                    vich zu? f?ter sa?het.
                                    L 3:819;

                                    From Grimm

                                    WICKE, f. , vicia, die bekannte pflanze. mit
                                    zahlreichem anderen sach- und wortlehngut aus dem
                                    bereich des römischen acker- und gartenbaus
                                    dringt lat. vicia (woraus it. veccia, frz. vesce)
                                    früh, als v noch die geltung von w und c vor i
                                    noch k-aussprache hatte, ins westgerm.
                                    (Kluge-Mitzka etym. wb. d. dt. spr. 17858): ahd.
                                    wikcha, wicka; as. wicka; mhd., mnd., mnl. wicke
                                    (engl. vetch entstammt dem altnordfrz. veche).
                                    aus dem dt. sind dän. vikke, schwed. vicker
                                    (selten auch vicka) entlehnt.
                                    das genus ist durchweg das fem.;

                                    Lentils sound like a reasonable substitute.
                                    Might be interesting to try vetch sometime, but
                                    I'm not sure how easy/cheap vetch is to find. Or
                                    which of several varieties is meant.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                                      thank you
                                      I was beginning to second guess myself (this stuffy head thing apparently is impacting my ability to think more than I had thought)

                                      I think my starch will be this, made with lentils.  I know it is tasty and served cold it will work fine.  Not as adventuresome as I had hoped but at this point I am going for simple and tasty.  (if I was doing it just for me I would add onion or garlic...)

                                      Just found out the royals will be there.  He speaks and reads German (when I was fought for in crown we sent our letter in German and processed to a herald proclaiming in German and his Majesty replied in kind :) it was fun, but now I want to make sure I do it right!

                                      Gwen trying to lead by example Cat

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                                        >thank you
                                        >I was beginning to second guess myself (this stuffy head thing
                                        >apparently is impacting my ability to think more than I had thought)
                                        >
                                        >I think my starch will be this, made with lentils. I know it is
                                        >tasty and served cold it will work fine. Not as adventuresome as I
                                        >had hoped but at this point I am going for simple and tasty. (if I
                                        >was doing it just for me I would add onion or garlic...)
                                        >
                                        >Just found out the royals will be there. He speaks and reads German
                                        >(when I was fought for in crown we sent our letter in German and
                                        >processed to a herald proclaiming in German and his Majesty replied
                                        >in kind :) it was fun, but now I want to make sure I do it right!
                                        >
                                        >Gwen trying to lead by example Cat

                                        Wrapping my head around the idea that lentils are "starch". But it
                                        sounds like a good side dish.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                                          well ok, not in the way that rice, potatoes, or pasta is, but my mom makes a 'stew' or 'eintopf'  (one pot dish) of lentils.  so in my head it is a good filling (starch)
                                          no, not explaining very well.  maybe it is a me-ism.

                                        • Alesone Gray
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
                                            If you use dried split peas, you get a very lovely pea broth.

                                            Alesone