Re: [cooking_rumpolt] Pleßlein

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2013
      I had to look up pukeko. Coot and pukeko are both
      Rails, so there is a family resemblance.

      P -> B is a very common change in German, a A
      umlat or ä to E is also common in Rumpolt. The
      dictionary even lists the spelling Bleßhuhn. So
      Pleß and Bläss are the same word.

      Here is the woodcut from Rumpolt. It appears to
      be a waterbird, but not detailed enough to be
      specific. My notes said that it appeared
      "duckish". It is grouped with recipes for
      several kinds of duck.
      http://diglib.hab.de/wdb.php?pointer=249&dir=drucke%2F2-3-oec-2f

      Ranvaig