Re: [cooking_rumpolt] Pleßlein

  • Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2013
      On 6/03/2013 6:27 p.m., Sharon Palmer wrote:
      > I got this message from Katharina, that Pleßlein
      > might be European Coot, modernly Blässhuhn, and I
      > think that seems correct.

      I had to look that one up... it looks a lot like a pukeko that hasn't
      had a chance to take off its slippers or freshen up :-)

      --
      Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
      -------------------------------------
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2013
        I had to look up pukeko. Coot and pukeko are both
        Rails, so there is a family resemblance.

        P -> B is a very common change in German, a A
        umlat or ä to E is also common in Rumpolt. The
        dictionary even lists the spelling Bleßhuhn. So
        Pleß and Bläss are the same word.

        Here is the woodcut from Rumpolt. It appears to
        be a waterbird, but not detailed enough to be
        specific. My notes said that it appeared
        "duckish". It is grouped with recipes for
        several kinds of duck.
        http://diglib.hab.de/wdb.php?pointer=249&dir=drucke%2F2-3-oec-2f

        Ranvaig