Re: [cooking_rumpolt] Period German Sausage Recipe

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 18, 2013
      >Does anyone have a period German Sausage recipe? that does not include ginger?

      Have you downloaded the Rumpolt translation yet?
      This is what I get from a search for "sausage".
      The few that have ginger are marked.. but may be
      of interest for directions, etc. Ginger seems to
      mostly be used for blood or brain sausage, or for
      fish sausage.

      Ranvaig

      Ochsen 61. Italian sausage of beef/ that one calls Zurwonada.

      Kalb 8. Bratwurst/ from a calves liver.

      Hammel 37. Sausage from mutton.

      Lamb 10. Lamb liver sausage.

      Lamb 25. Lamb sausage.

      Geiß 28. Goat sausage.

      Spensaw 3. Brain sausage - with ginger.

      Spensaw 13. Blood sausage - with ginger.

      Spensaw 14. Sausage from piglet.

      Spensaw 15. The bratwurst served in a sauce garnished with ginger.

      Hirsch 13. Deer sausage - with ginger.

      Hirsch 25. Italian zurwanada. Also good with beef and pork.

      Dendel 9. Deer blood sausage - with ginger.

      Dendel 21. Deer sausage with garlic.

      Reh 5. Roe deer liver sausage.

      Reh 11. Sausage from roe deer.

      Schweinen 17. Blood sausage from a wild pig - with ginger.

      Schweinen 18. Liver sausage.

      Schweinen 19. Bratwurst.

      Schweinen 33. Sausage to store.

      Gemß 4. Liver sausage.

      Türkischen Schaf 4. Liver Sausage.

      Ganß 16. Sausage of goose (no actual recipe).

      Ganß 22. Sausage of goose liver.

      Ganß 26, Sausage of goose breast.

      Kappaun 3. Sausage of capon breast.

      Kappaun 17. Sausage of capon liver.

      Kappaun 30. "sausage" of milk, eggs, and herbs.

      Salmen 14. Sausage of salmon - with ginger.

      Hecht 4. Sausage of pike - with ginger.

      Bersig 11. "Sausage" of perch wrapped in crepes. - with ginger.

      Krebßen 9. "Sausage" of crab and egg yolk wrapped in crepes.

      Ranvaig
    • Channon Mondoux
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 20, 2013
        I've been making several German sausages, the brat recipe is fabulous,
        we've done it with venison as well

        Here is my brat recipe (if you use venison be sure to have it at least 10 %
        beef tallow in the mix or it will be very dry).

        * Exported from MasterCook *

        Bratwurst

        Recipe By : Channon Mondoux; original Sabina Weslerin 16th C German
        Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
        Categories : Main Dishes

        2 pounds pork shoulder
        2 pounds ground beef
        1 pound bacon -- fatty
        2 cups cold water
        1 tablespoon black pepper
        3/4 tablespoon salt
        2 tablespoons dried marjoram
        4 tablespoons dried sage
        sausage casings
        2 cups Sauerkraut -- optional

        Germany
        25 If you would make good bratwurst

        Take four pounds of pork and four pounds of beef and chop it finely.
        After that mix with it two pounds of bacon and chop it together and
        pour approximately one quart of water on it. Also add salt and pepper
        thereto, however you like to eat it, or if you would like to have
        some good herbs, you could take some sage and some marjoram, then you
        have good bratwurst.

        Grind meat and mix well. Mix herbs and spices in a separate bowl, then add
        to the meat. Mix in the water and blend well. Fill casings.
        Steam, grill or bake sausage. Place over hot sauerkraut. Serve.

        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

        And we did the sauerkraut with butter and sour cream- omg it was amazing.
        And we did a pear mustard sauce from the corpus as well- yum

        *Mustard Sauce � *Dame Hauviette

        *34 To make the mustard for dried cod (Sabina .Weserlin.)**

        Take mustard powder, stir into it good wine and pear preserves and put
        sugar into it, as much as you feel is good, and make it as thick as you
        prefer to eat it, then it is a good mustard.*

        1 cup whole grain Dijon mustard

        � cup pureed pear preserves

        � cup sweet red wine

        Combine all ingredients. Serve with sausage.

        *Sauerkraut With Sour Cream and Butter*- Dame Hauviette

        *Gehackt saures Kraut ist auch nicht b�� / wenns gesotten ist / so macht
        mans ab mit saurem Rahm und Butter.*

        *Chopped sauerkraut is also not bad. When it is cooked, you mix it with
        sour cream and butter.*

        Redaction:

        1 lb sauerkraut
        1 cup sour cream
        2 tblsp butter

        Salt and pepper to taste

        Drain sauerkraut and rinse with fresh water. Heat the sauerkraut in a pot
        with a little water, stir in sour cream and butter and serve hot. The milky
        flavour contrasts nicely with the sourness of the kraut. Season with salt
        and pepper

        --
        Channon Mondoux

        "If you endeavor to live the life of which you have imagined, you will find
        success unknown in common hours." H.D. Thoreau

        269-547-0339

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 20, 2013

          >25 If you would make good bratwurst

          Gwen Cat did a version of this too.

          http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_ASsp99_wurst.htm

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 20, 2013
            It does not come across on the website (I need to fix that) I was asked to create a bratwurst that was safe for a non-pork eater to enjoy.  That is why the turkey breast and turkey bacon in place of the recipe specified piggy bits.

            PURR
            Gwen Cat
            now craving Bratwurst for dinner :)

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 20, 2013
              >(I need to fix that)

              While fixing it.. could you add a link to my translation, please?

              Ranvaig
            • Susan Fox
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 20, 2013
                I have a batch of the Pear Mustard made last September, and it is still
                mightily hot. I thought I killed the King last weekend. UH OH! Good though.

                In this batch, used pears in syrup from a tin and crush them thoroughly.
                Those are preserved pears, yes? And maybe less sugar than a "jam" type.

                Tangentially: we are looking into starting a Sausage and Preserved Meats
                special interest group in Caid, a southern chapter of the West Kingdom's
                "Saluminati" and this thread has been EXTREMELY useful! More after we
                meet at Crown this coming Saturday.

                Also, Hauviette and Rainvig, seeing your names in this list makes me
                smile. I am considering a trip to the Madison symposium next year so I
                hope to see you.

                Selene

                On 2/20/13 9:03 AM, Channon Mondoux wrote:
                > *Mustard Sauce – *Dame Hauviette
                >
                > *34 To make the mustard for dried cod (Sabina .Weserlin.)**
                >
                > Take mustard powder, stir into it good wine and pear preserves and put
                > sugar into it, as much as you feel is good, and make it as thick as you
                > prefer to eat it, then it is a good mustard.*
                >
                > 1 cup whole grain Dijon mustard
                >
                > ½ cup pureed pear preserves
                >
                > ¼ cup sweet red wine
                >
                > Combine all ingredients. Serve with sausage.

              • Lady Marie d'Andelys
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 21, 2013
                  i am looking for a venison sausage recipe... :)

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 21, 2013
                    >i am looking for a venison sausage recipe... :)

                    I posted this to your previous inquiry. Download the translation to
                    get the recipes.

                    >Dendel 9. Deer blood sausage - with ginger.
                    >
                    >Dendel 21. Deer sausage with garlic.
                    >
                    >Reh 5. Roe deer liver sausage.
                    >
                    >Reh 11. Sausage from roe deer.

                    Ranvaig
                  • Lady Marie d'Andelys
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 21, 2013
                      no i have not downloaded it... do you have a link?

                      --- In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Palmer <ranvaig@...> wrote:

                      > >Does anyone have a period German Sausage recipe? that does not include ginger?
                      > >

                      > Have you downloaded the Rumpolt translation yet?
                      > This is what I get from a search for "sausage".
                      > The few that have ginger are marked.. but may be
                      > of interest for directions, etc. Ginger seems to
                      > mostly be used for blood or brain sausage, or for
                      > fish sausage.
                      >
                      > Ranvaig
                      >

                      > Ochsen 61. Italian sausage of beef/ that one calls Zurwonada.
                      >
                      > Kalb 8. Bratwurst/ from a calves liver.
                      >
                      > Hammel 37. Sausage from mutton.
                      >
                      > Lamb 10. Lamb liver sausage.
                      >
                      > Lamb 25. Lamb sausage.
                      >
                      > Geiß 28. Goat sausage.
                      >
                      > Spensaw 3. Brain sausage - with ginger.
                      >
                      > Spensaw 13. Blood sausage - with ginger.
                      >
                      > Spensaw 14. Sausage from piglet.
                      >
                      > Spensaw 15. The bratwurst served in a sauce garnished with ginger.
                      >
                      > Hirsch 13. Deer sausage - with ginger.
                      >
                      > Hirsch 25. Italian zurwanada. Also good with beef and pork.
                      >
                      > Dendel 9. Deer blood sausage - with ginger.
                      >
                      > Dendel 21. Deer sausage with garlic.
                      >
                      > Reh 5. Roe deer liver sausage.
                      >
                      > Reh 11. Sausage from roe deer.
                      >
                      > Schweinen 17. Blood sausage from a wild pig - with ginger.
                      >
                      > Schweinen 18. Liver sausage.
                      >
                      > Schweinen 19. Bratwurst.
                      >
                      > Schweinen 33. Sausage to store.
                      >
                      > Gemß 4. Liver sausage.
                      >
                      > Türkischen Schaf 4. Liver Sausage.
                      >
                      > Ganß 16. Sausage of goose (no actual recipe).
                      >
                      > Ganß 22. Sausage of goose liver.
                      >
                      > Ganß 26, Sausage of goose breast.
                      >
                      > Kappaun 3. Sausage of capon breast.
                      >
                      > Kappaun 17. Sausage of capon liver.
                      >
                      > Kappaun 30. "sausage" of milk, eggs, and herbs.
                      >
                      > Salmen 14. Sausage of salmon - with ginger.
                      >
                      > Hecht 4. Sausage of pike - with ginger.
                      >
                      > Bersig 11. "Sausage" of perch wrapped in crepes. - with ginger.
                      >
                      > Krebßen 9. "Sausage" of crab and egg yolk wrapped in crepes.
                      >
                      > Ranvaig

                    • Lady Marie d'Andelys
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 21, 2013
                        we have someone in our barony that can not have beef...
                        i may try it with venison instead...

                        --- In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Palmer <ranvaig@...> wrote:

                        > >(I need to fix that)
                        >
                        > While fixing it.. could you add a link to my translation, please?
                        >
                        > Ranvaig

                      • Lady Marie d'Andelys
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 21, 2013
                          I'm not finding this recipe:

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 21, 2013
                            >no i have not downloaded it... do you have a link?
                            >> >

                            > > Have you downloaded the Rumpolt translation yet?

                            At the bottom of every post it says:

                            Or get there directly from here
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cooking_rumpolt/files/%20Ein%20New%20Kochbuch/

                            Look for the file EinNewKochbuch.rtf current translation.

                            2000 translated recipes, 50 pages of translated menus.

                            Sharon
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 21, 2013
                              >I'm not finding this recipe:
                              >
                              >Dendel 21. Deer sausage with garlic.

                              Same thing, download the file. Most of the discussion here, centers
                              around my translation of this long work.

                              Ranvaig
                            • Sharon
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 21, 2013
                                My apologies, it apparently edited out the link I was trying to send. Hopefully this works.

                                At the bottom of every post it says:

                                To visit your group on the web, go to: