RE: [cooking_rumpolt] Period German Sausage Recip e

  • Daniel Myers
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2013

      If you're looking for recipes that have been already worked out, my
      apprentice (Avelyn Grene) has a couple:

      Bratvurst
      http://www.greneboke.com/recipes/bratvurst.shtml

      Venison Sausage
      http://www.greneboke.com/recipes/venisonsausage.shtml

      For original source recipes, here's what I found with a quick search:

      23 If you would make a good sausage for a salad. Then take ten pounds of
      pork and five pounds of beef, always two parts pork to one part of beef.
      That would be fifteen pounds. To that one should take eight ounces of
      salt and two and one half ounces of pepper, which should be coarsely
      ground, and when the meat is chopped, put into it at first two pounds of
      bacon, diced. According to how fat the pork is, one can use less or
      more, take the bacon from the back and not from the belly. And the
      sausages should be firmly stuffed. The sooner they are dried the better.
      Hang them in the parlor or in the kitchen, but not in the smoke and not
      near the oven, so that the bacon does not melt. This should be done
      during the crescent moon, and fill with the minced meat well and firmly,
      then the sausages will remain good for a long while. Each sausage should
      be tied above and below and also fasten a ribbon on both ends with which
      they should be hung up, and every two days they should be turned, upside
      down, and when they are fully dried out, wrap them in a cloth and lay
      them in a box. [Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin, (Germany, 16th
      century - V. Armstrong, trans.)]

      25 If you would make good bratwurst. Take four pounds of pork and four
      pounds of beef and chop it finely. After that mix with it two pounds of
      bacon and chop it together and pour approximately one quart of water on
      it. Also add salt and pepper thereto, however you like to eat it, or if
      you would like to have some good herbs , you could take some sage and
      some marjoram, then you have good bratwurst. [Das Kuchbuch der Sabina
      Welserin, (Germany, 16th century - V. Armstrong, trans.)]

      26 If you would make good liverwurst. First take a quarter of a pig's
      liver, also a quarter of a pig's lungs, chop them small, after that chop
      bacon into small cubes and put salt and caraway seeds into it. The liver
      and lungs must first be cooked, before they are chopped, and afterwards
      pour as much of this broth on the chopped meat as you feel is enough.
      Then take the intestines from the slaughterhouse and fill them full,
      then you have good sausage. [Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin,
      (Germany, 16th century - V. Armstrong, trans.)]

      - Doc