Re: need inspiration

  • ladybrynnimacrose
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
      A few things leap to mind, like others I had thought about the pickled beets but it is best when the sit for a while.

      In order of ease.

      1. The German pear mustard can be made ahead of time and served with cheese and crackers. :) If you have little time you can buy pre-made pear butter and just mix in the mustard powder. Just note to the people doing the tasting that the mustard is the part that is period.

      2. Carrot salat - It is a cold parboiled carrot dish that is super easy and site friendly for the conditions you discribe. I have it at home and will email it later today.

      3. Farced eggs- period "deviled eggs" with ricotta cheese and parm, uses a bit of mint and currents. (It is a popular stand by around here) For the conditions you discribe I would mix everything at home but not fill the egg whites until right before service - that way you could keep everything in a cooler and cold enough without much effort. Again I will email the exact recipe when I am home tonight.

      I will come up with some others when I am not proctoring an exam - it is difficult to do much while keeping an eye on my students. :)

      Bryn
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
        ah yes, exams.. fun.

        hm eggs.. might be tasty.  I think I have some pear mustard at home (I also make and can that)

        thanks
        purr
        Gwen also in academia Cat

        >________________________________

      • Euriol of Lothian
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
          What do you consider budget friendly? I can get a modest amount of cooked shrimp from the frozen food isle here for less than $10. A simple red wine vinegar (if not in my pantry) is usually about $1.

          Euriol

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
            beets or most veggy dishes I can pull off for under $5.  Shrimp run $7+ for a lb, though yes, I do have red wine vinegar in the pantry. Normally $10 would not be an issue... $1200 in vet bills in the past 30 days make this month a little tight.

            Purr
            Gwen Cat

            >________________________________

          • Euriol of Lothian
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
              Gotcha...

              You might try the Sour Orange Salad out of Rumpolt

              My redaction was a combination of the Sour Orange Salad & Lemon Salad (I have noted recipes 24 & 27) to make accommodation for the sweeter oranges available today

              My Interpretation:

              4 medium oranges (seedless)
              2 Tbsp. white sugar
              4 lemons 2 cups sugar (for serving)

              Cut lemons in half-length wise and core them. Take caution with the
              lemons in order to reserve the peels for serving. Press lemon guts to
              juice and reserve. Clean lemons of white and place lemon peels in lemon
              water (1 Tbsp. of lemon juice in 1 cup of water) to keep fresh. Peel and slice oranges. Combine remaining lemon juice and sugar with orange
              slices. Let marinade overnight. Place sugar for serving on platter. Fill lemon halves with orange salad and place on platter, letting the sugar
              stabilize the lemon half.

              I used the lemons as a presentation device for the feast I served it at (brilliant idea of one of my apprentices).

              Euriol

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                ooo
                they have an orange and pomegranate one too, and I have pomegranates in the house...

                purrr
                Gwen Cat

              • johnnaellynlewis
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                  I'd do cookies or small cakes or a yeasted great cake of some sort. Something that can be sliced or eaten as a bite on a napkin without the need of a spoon or fork. If you are serving during a talk at 3:30, then something for a mid afternoon bite.

                  Johnnae