need inspiration

  • tgrcat2001
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
      Our local (Caerthe, Outlands) cooks guild is hosting a round table at our local A&S Collegium Saturday. We want to have a tasting table so folks can taste some yummy period stuff as we talk. I am in the middle of my first week of Spring semester insanity. I have almost no time, and no brain cells whatsoever.
      I need suggestions for something I can fix fast and bring to the event. Have to be there at 9am, our talk is at 330. no refrigeration (though a cooler is an option), and I would prefer to not haul a crock pot either.

      THOUGHTS?
      oh, on a budget too!

      Purr
      Gwen Cat
    • Euriol of Lothian
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
        Cooked shrimp dressed with vinegar. 15th century English recipe.

        Euriol

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
          ooo, not budget friendly here in the Outlands, but I did 400 year old shrimp at my elevation, and it was durned tasty...
          maybe they would stay cold enough under and ice pack...
          THANKS
          any other thoughts?

          Purr
          Gwen Cat

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
            >ooo, not budget friendly here in the Outlands, but I did 400 year
            >old shrimp at my elevation, and it was durned tasty...
            >maybe they would stay cold enough under and ice pack...
            >THANKS
            >any other thoughts?

            any of Rumpolt's salads. Or the beets with horseradish.
            Not feeling well right now, will have more ideas later.
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
              you take care of you.
              I had hoped I had a jar of beets in the pantry (I can them when I have the time for stuff like this) but I didnt see one... and they are better if they sit for a few weeks.

              hm let me look at the salad section.  was contemplating maybe a pie, but what kind....

              >________________________________

            • ladybrynnimacrose
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                Also does it need to be German or just period? Some other things come to mind but they are not German.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                  I love to work from Rumpolt, but am open to other period suggestions too.

                  Purr
                  Gwen Cat

                  >________________________________

                • ladybrynnimacrose
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                    A few things leap to mind, like others I had thought about the pickled beets but it is best when the sit for a while.

                    In order of ease.

                    1. The German pear mustard can be made ahead of time and served with cheese and crackers. :) If you have little time you can buy pre-made pear butter and just mix in the mustard powder. Just note to the people doing the tasting that the mustard is the part that is period.

                    2. Carrot salat - It is a cold parboiled carrot dish that is super easy and site friendly for the conditions you discribe. I have it at home and will email it later today.

                    3. Farced eggs- period "deviled eggs" with ricotta cheese and parm, uses a bit of mint and currents. (It is a popular stand by around here) For the conditions you discribe I would mix everything at home but not fill the egg whites until right before service - that way you could keep everything in a cooler and cold enough without much effort. Again I will email the exact recipe when I am home tonight.

                    I will come up with some others when I am not proctoring an exam - it is difficult to do much while keeping an eye on my students. :)

                    Bryn
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                      ah yes, exams.. fun.

                      hm eggs.. might be tasty.  I think I have some pear mustard at home (I also make and can that)

                      thanks
                      purr
                      Gwen also in academia Cat

                      >________________________________

                    • Euriol of Lothian
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                        What do you consider budget friendly? I can get a modest amount of cooked shrimp from the frozen food isle here for less than $10. A simple red wine vinegar (if not in my pantry) is usually about $1.

                        Euriol

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                          beets or most veggy dishes I can pull off for under $5.  Shrimp run $7+ for a lb, though yes, I do have red wine vinegar in the pantry. Normally $10 would not be an issue... $1200 in vet bills in the past 30 days make this month a little tight.

                          Purr
                          Gwen Cat

                          >________________________________

                        • Euriol of Lothian
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                            Gotcha...

                            You might try the Sour Orange Salad out of Rumpolt

                            My redaction was a combination of the Sour Orange Salad & Lemon Salad (I have noted recipes 24 & 27) to make accommodation for the sweeter oranges available today

                            My Interpretation:

                            4 medium oranges (seedless)
                            2 Tbsp. white sugar
                            4 lemons 2 cups sugar (for serving)

                            Cut lemons in half-length wise and core them. Take caution with the
                            lemons in order to reserve the peels for serving. Press lemon guts to
                            juice and reserve. Clean lemons of white and place lemon peels in lemon
                            water (1 Tbsp. of lemon juice in 1 cup of water) to keep fresh. Peel and slice oranges. Combine remaining lemon juice and sugar with orange
                            slices. Let marinade overnight. Place sugar for serving on platter. Fill lemon halves with orange salad and place on platter, letting the sugar
                            stabilize the lemon half.

                            I used the lemons as a presentation device for the feast I served it at (brilliant idea of one of my apprentices).

                            Euriol

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                              ooo
                              they have an orange and pomegranate one too, and I have pomegranates in the house...

                              purrr
                              Gwen Cat

                            • johnnaellynlewis
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                                I'd do cookies or small cakes or a yeasted great cake of some sort. Something that can be sliced or eaten as a bite on a napkin without the need of a spoon or fork. If you are serving during a talk at 3:30, then something for a mid afternoon bite.

                                Johnnae