"trucken" / old word forms

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2008
      Hi all,

      we are dealing with a text that written in an earlier variety of a
      language and created at a time when there was no standard spelling.
      Many texts from this time also show influences of local dialects.
      Rumpolt was a contemporary of Shakespeare, and his German is just as
      much removed from modern German as Shakespeare's English is from modern
      English. I.e. it is basically understandable, but there are different
      words, spellings and constructions.

      Yes, "trucken" can be an earlier variant of "trocken", in whiich can it
      is an adjective, but it can also be an earlier variant of the
      verb "drücken". (Check the Grimm dictionary, it has examples for both).
      We have to pay attention to the syntax (is it a verb or an adjective)
      and the context.
      I found another interesting resource, the Munich Early Modern German
      Corpus:
      http://demo.fruehneuhochdeutsch.is.guad.de/cgi-
      bin/fruehneuhochdeutsch/search.cgi
      Looks like the project is not finished yet, but it lets you look up
      such words including old spellings and links the entries to the
      corresponding entries in the Grimm dictionary.
      If you need a modern German online dictionary, try the one on
      http://www.leo.org

      Best regards,

      Christina
    • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2008
        >If you need a modern German online dictionary, try the one on
        >http://www.leo.org

        I use LEO, but the modern German online dictionary that I find most useful is Beolingus because it will give results without an exact spelling. It is very useful for Rumpolt's variant spelling. Sometimes I use Beolingus to find the correct spelling, then LEO for a better definition.
        http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/

        Ranvaig
      • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2008

          >I see what you mean, but this dictionary only makes sense if you have
          >correctly identified the base form of the word. E.g. if you search
          >for the word "wirt", it will come up with translations for the
          >noun "Wirt" (host, landlord, publican). It will not come to the
          >conclusion that the word you are looking for is a phonetic spelling
          >of "wird", which is an inflected form (3rd pers sing pres
          >of "werden").
          >It's a good link though :-)

          No, it's not perfect, but does work quite a bit of the time.

          Another technique I've used is to *guess* what it might mean, put in the English word, and see if any of the found German words fit.

          Also, putting the German word (especially nouns) into Google sometimes finds something.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2008
            --- In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, ranvaig@... wrote:

            > >If you need a modern German online dictionary, try the one on
            > >http://www.leo.org
            >
            > I use LEO, but the modern German online dictionary that I find most
            useful is Beolingus because it will give results without an exact
            spelling. It is very useful for Rumpolt's variant spelling.
            Sometimes I use Beolingus to find the correct spelling, then LEO for
            a better definition.
            > http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
            >
            > Ranvaig

            Hi Ranvaig,