Of Wine 78- 79.

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
      78) Salbey Wein.
      Wirt mancherley weiß gemacht/ etlich hencke~
      Salbey in ein Fäßlein/ etlich sieden sie. Ist
      gut zu allen gebrächen deß Zanfleisches/ Zanweh/
      Zungen
      << CXCV (HAB 490) >>

      Geäder vnd Gliedern/ stärcket sie wider
      Paralysin/ vnd den Krampff/ hilfft zu der
      fallenden Sucht/ vnd vorauß in den sachen deß
      Magens/ vnnd der Mutter/ denn es seind äderige
      stätt.

      Sage Wine.
      Is made white by many/ some hang sage in a cask/
      some boil it. It is good for all uses of the
      gums/ tooth pain/ tongue(/) veins and limbs/ it
      strengthens against paralysis/ and the cramp (or
      spasms)/ helps the epilepsy/ and forward (or
      maybe "advantage"??) in matters of the stomach/
      and the uterus/ because it is a venous place.

      -- per Grimm Fallendsüchtig = "epilepticus" or epileptic
      -- per ENHG stat = status, condition
      -- per Grimm aderig, äderig = "venosus" or venous
      -- per Grimm: Mutter means mother, but also uterus, which seems to fit here.

      79) Isopen Wein.
      Verzehret vnd zeucht an sich/ Man sol süß Holtz
      darzu thun. Solcher Wein geziemet den Alten/ ist
      gut für den seuchten Husten/ fallende Sucht/ vnd
      am meisten an den Kindern. Er trucknet vnd heylt
      heimliche ort/ damit gewäschen/ macht klare
      stim~/ ziemt den Wassersüchtigen.

      Hyssop Wine.
      Destroys?? and anzeucht itself??**/ One should
      put licorice in it. Such wine befits the old/ is
      good for the sick?? cough/ epilepsy/ and most of
      all for the children. It dries and heals hidden
      places/ that are washed with it/ makes clear
      voice??/ befits the those with edema.

      ** I've no idea what this sentence is trying to say.

      -- per Grimm: verzehren = destroy, consume
      -- per ENHG: anziehen = to pull towards
      -- per ENHG: stimme = voice
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
        Verzehret vnd zeucht an sich/

        verzehren to eat, or destroy
        Zieht an sich - pulls to itself.  attracts or absorbs?

        Gwen fiscal year end GRRRR Cat

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
          Possibly something like that, but that's not a
          whole sentence, attracts or absorbs *what*? And
          the next sentence talks about adding licorice, so
          possibly this is talking about how the hyssop
          wine is made.

          *hugs* and commiseration on the year end stuff.

          Ranvaig

          >Verzehret vnd zeucht an sich/
          >
          >verzehren to eat, or destroy
          >Zieht an sich - pulls to itself. attracts or absorbs?
          >
          >Gwen fiscal year end GRRRR Cat
          >

          >>79) Isopen Wein.
          >>Verzehret vnd zeucht an sich/ Man sol süß Holtz
          >>darzu thun. Solcher Wein geziemet den Alten/ ist
          >>gut für den seuchten Husten/ fallende Sucht/ vnd
          >>am meisten an den Kindern. Er trucknet vnd heylt
          >>heimliche ort/ damit gewäschen/ macht klare
          >>stim~/ ziemt den Wassersüchtigen.
          >>
          >>Hyssop Wine.
          >>Destroys?? and anzeucht itself??**/ One should
          > >put licorice in it. Such wine befits the old/ is
          >>good for the sick?? cough/ epilepsy/ and most of
          >>all for the children. It dries and heals hidden
          >>places/ that are washed with it/ makes clear
          > >voice??/ befits the those with edema.
        • emilio_szabo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
            > vnd vorauß in den sachen deß
            > Magens/ vnnd der Mutter/

            > and forward (or
            > maybe "advantage"??) in matters of the stomach/
            > and the uterus

            ... and especially ...

            > Verzehret vnd zeucht an sich/

            > Hyssop Wine.
            > Destroys?? and anzeucht itself??**/

            > ** I've no idea what this sentence is trying to say.

            As far as I can see this sentence mentions the secondary humoral virtues of this kind of wine.

            Suggestion, something like: The wine has the virtue to dissolve and to absorb (e.g. noxious substances in the body)

            E.
          • emilio_szabo
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2012
              > 78) Salbey Wein.
              > Wirt mancherley weiß gemacht/ etlich hencke~
              > Salbey in ein Fäßlein/ etlich sieden sie.

              > Is made white by many/ some hang sage in a cask/
              > some boil it.

              "weiß" belongs to "Weise" 'way, kind'.

              Hence: Sage wine is made in several different ways. Some ... some ...

              E.