Added to Files

  • Serena da Riva
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2007
      Greetings,

      When I was doing a German Feast in 2005 I primarily relied on Gwen
      Cat's indispensable website. But there were some things I wanted that
      she hadn't translated, so I attempted to do some translating myself. I
      was able to get a copy of Rumpoldt, but not able to secure a
      dictionary. My biggest problem is that I read no modern German at all.

      In trying to translate, based on the large amount that Gwen Cat has
      already translated, I built my own Dictionary of sorts (including some
      wonderful information from Master Tirloch).

      I have uploaded that excel document to the Files section of this
      group. If it can be of assistance to anyone, I hope they will use it.
      And I hope that I will be able to expand it during the course of
      participating in this group.

      Glad Tidings,
      Serena da Riva
    • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 29, 2007
        >Greetings,
        >
        >When I was doing a German Feast in 2005 I primarily relied on Gwen
        >Cat's indispensable website. But there were some things I wanted that
        >she hadn't translated, so I attempted to do some translating myself. I
        >was able to get a copy of Rumpoldt, but not able to secure a
        >dictionary. My biggest problem is that I read no modern German at all.

        I'm using the Harper Collins Unabridged Dictionary, checked out from my library, so far they have let me keep renewing it. I dont have a German language dictionary, but have often wished I did.

        My primary resourse has been this website
        http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/dings.cgi?lang=en;service=deen

        Vitha suggested this one:
        http://dict.leo.org/?lang=de&lp=ende

        >In trying to translate, based on the large amount that Gwen Cat has
        >already translated, I built my own Dictionary of sorts (including some
        >wonderful information from Master Tirloch).
        >
        >I have uploaded that excel document to the Files section of this
        >group. If it can be of assistance to anyone, I hope they will use it.
        >And I hope that I will be able to expand it during the course of
        >participating in this group.

        I haven't compared them yet, but have uploaded my version of a glossary, along with my current version of the translation. My translation is based on the transcription that Master Tirloch was kind enough to post on his site. And uploaded my transcription of all of the menus. I'm working on the translation but haven't finished.

        I'm hoping that this group will let us all build on what the others have done. I know that I have relied on Gwen Cat's research and many others.

        I'm going to add some sites to the links section too. If anyone else has any translations, or resources, please share them with us.

        Ranvaig
      • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
          >In trying to translate, based on the large amount that Gwen Cat has
          >already translated, I built my own Dictionary of sorts (including some
          >wonderful information from Master Tirloch).

          I finally got a chance to look at your dictionary. Nice job. Thank you for sharing it.

          Ranvaig
        • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
            In Rumpolt, "V" is used in place of "U" at the beginning of a word, for instance "vnd" instead of "und", and "vnterichtung" instead of "unterichtung".

            Likewise "Y" is often used where modern spelling has an "I", for instance "beyde" instead of "beide" or "allerley" instead of "allerlei".

            Master Tirloch's transcription is usually the modern spelling. Dr Gloning's transcriptions use the accurate one. Is it better to transcribe as it was printed? Or is a more readable transcription better? Does it matter? The readable one can be easier to look in a dictionary.

            What about abbreviations? "vn" with a line over the n means "vnd" or "und" so far I've been transcribing things like that as "vn(d)".

            Ranvaig
          • Marion McNealy
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
              <snippage>
              Master Tirloch's transcription is usually the modern spelling. Dr Gloning's transcriptions use the accurate one. Is it better to transcribe as it was printed? Or is a more readable transcription better? Does it matter? The readable one can be easier to look in a dictionary.

              What about abbreviations? "vn" with a line over the n means "vnd" or "und" so far I've been transcribing things like that as "vn(d)".

              Ranvaig

              I personally think its better to transcribe it into the modern spelling
              as much as possible, it makes the resource a lot easier to use for people who don't know the period spelling conventions. It all
              depends on how you want the resource to be used.

              -Sophia

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;}
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;}
              #ygrp-actbar{
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              #ygrp-ft{
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;}

              #ygrp-vital{
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a {
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o {font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal {
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq {margin:4;}
              -->

            • grasse@mscd.edu
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
                My personal preference is for transcribing as close to the original as
                possible. For me it conveys the history of the language better. I
                realize the modernization is easier to read for beginners, but for me
                it looses some of the... feeling of the original.

                Gwen Cat
                who should go back and update all the links on her website and perhaps
                make the transcriptions uniform too.

              • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
                  With her permission, I have combined Serena's glossary and mine into one file. I'm hoping it will be a resource for anyone else who is trying to translate German recipes. Both Serena and I used translations by Mistress Gwen Cat, Thomas Gloning, Master Tirloch and others in our research. I'd also like to acknowledge help from the SCA-cooks list.

                  If anyone else has a glossary list, please share and I'll add it in. Several people have told me they are native German speakers, if they could review the glossary, we'd all appreciate it. Many of these words are obscure or spelled differently than modern German.