[cooking_rumpolt] Re: Kalb 10 - 13 lungs

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6 12:59 PM
      >Also see Zugemüß 76 and Zugemüß 76.

      Sorry the other recipes were Zugemüß 76 and Zugemüß 97.

      >What you mean is "Schmarrn", usually
      >"Kaiserschmarrn", which is a kind of pancake and
      >a totally different dish. In the Southern German
      >dialect areas "Schmarrn" also means nonsense,
      >rubbish, stupid talk.

      I found the modern recipe with a search for
      "schmorn" although I see similar recipes are
      called "schmarrn". It was more or less a
      scrambled pancake. A pancake like batter cooked,
      then broken into pieces. The result seemed
      similar to Zugemüß 76, Schmorren, where you roll
      out a dough, cut it into finger size pieces and
      fry.

      Zugemüß 97, Schmorren, and Kalb 10, Schmorn, have
      fish or lungs mixed with eggs, and seem to have a
      similar broken up texture.

      Grimm lists Schmorren/ Schmoren/ Schmaren as equivalent verbs

      Grimm: SCHMARRE, f., schmarren,m.
      1) bair.-östr. ein gericht, das aus mehl oder
      gries, brodkrumen, zerstoszenem pfannkuchen u.
      dergl. mit schmalz oder butter, oft unter zusatz
      von eiern und anderem, durch schmoren oder rösten
      bereitet wird, schmarren, f. (brod-, semmel-,
      mehl-, gries-, topfen-, kapaunen-, lungen-,
      nierenschmarren)

      2) klumpen, brocken.

      1) a dish of flour or semolina, bread crumbs,
      broken pancakes, with lard or butter, often with
      addition of eggs and others, prepared through
      braising or roasting (bread schmarren, semmel
      schmarren, flour schmarren, semolina schmarren,
      pot schmarren, chicken schmarren, lung schmarren,
      kidney schmarren

      2) lumps, fragments or chunks

      It sounds like the same dish to me.