German Cheeses

  • Kerri Martinsen
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2008
      I have gotten into cheesemaking and have started researching cheeses used by
      Rumpolt and others during the medieval period. So far by *name* I have only
      come across Parmesan. Most cheeses today made in Germany are "knockoffs" of
      other countries' cheese or were developed in the 1800s. I have only started
      researching this, so YMMV.

      Has anyone been down this road or should I expect a whole lot of
      "overgrowth"?

      Vitha

    • Johnna Holloway
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2008
        Does Mistress Eibhlin: kathleenmadsen at gmail.com

        have anything on the topic?

        Johnna

        Kerri Martinsen wrote:

        > I have gotten into cheesemaking and have started researching cheeses
        > used by
        > Rumpolt and others during the medieval period. So far by *name* I have
        > only
        > come across Parmesan. Most cheeses today made in Germany are
        > "knockoffs" of
        > other countries' cheese or were developed in the 1800s. I have only
        > started
        > researching this, so YMMV.
        >
        > Has anyone been down this road or should I expect a whole lot of
        > "overgrowth"?
        >
        > Vitha

      • Kerri Martinsen
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2008
          She actually lives in my barony. We have been working on Italian cheeses
          lately. The german Cheese thing is a personal mission right now :) But I
          will be asking her next time I see her (which is usually at Choir practice).

          Vitha

        • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2008
            >I have gotten into cheesemaking and have started researching cheeses used by
            >Rumpolt and others during the medieval period. So far by *name* I have only
            >come across Parmesan. Most cheeses today made in Germany are "knockoffs" of
            >other countries' cheese or were developed in the 1800s. I have only started
            >researching this, so YMMV.

            In Rumpolt, I found:

            Parmesankäß (Parmesan cheese)
            harten Käß (hard cheese)
            frischen Käß (fresh cheese)
            jungem Käß (young cheese)
            ein neuwen Käß/ der vber Nacht gemacht ist (a new cheese/ that was made over night)
            Ziger (whey cheese or Ricotta)
            allerley gute Käß (assorted good cheese)

            Mandel Käß (not almond flavored cheese, but a lent cheese made from almond milk)

            Btw, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, I just have been too busy for much translation since Christmas. I've been working on transcribing some of the untranscribed sections, and hopefully will post about that soon.