Re: [cooking_rumpolt] Digest Number 230

  • Carowyn Silveroak
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
      > the description did mention 'buttons in her as a fist and hanging
      > together like a paternoster'

      Check out the picture under March 5, 2010:

      http://dveterinarian.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html

      NSFW!

      But the cat's uterus does seem to resemble a beaded paternoster. I'm
      still looking for deer uterus pics. Apparently not so prevalent on the
      interwebs...

      -Carowyn
      Refinance for 2.625%/3.10% APR
      Loans under 729K usually qualify for US GOV backed refinance programs
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4e7ba469bb432667713st04duc
    • Elise Fleming
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
        There seem to be some sites with information about deer uteri. One is
        http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-7998.1966.tb02970.x/abstract
        which may have photos. The article is available as a PDF but has to be
        ordered from a member or an institution.

        This site (http://placentation.ucsd.edu/deer.html) talks mostly about
        placentas but you might find information about the uterus in which the
        placentas grow. There are some photos at the end.

        I don't know that a pregnant deer would have been used, but there is
        mention in the site in the second paragraph and on this site
        (http://www.jstor.org/pss/1380018) of what I believe are strings of
        round objects (cotyledons). "...most of the Cervidae have six to nine
        cotyledons..." The Freedictionary.com says, "2. Anatomy One of the
        lobules constituting the uterine side of the mammalian placenta,
        consisting mainly of a rounded mass of villi."

        There's a photo here:
        http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/reprod/placenta/ruminants.html
        . This looks like the best source for deer uteri.

        Alys K.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
          >Ovaries???

          I wondered that too. I think they would have to be pretty similar to
          testicles.

          Ranvaig
        • Elise Fleming
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
            On 9/22/2011 6:36 PM, Sharon Palmer wrote:
            > >Ovaries???
            >
            > I wondered that too. I think they would have to be pretty similar to
            > testicles.

            But, as mentioned, they wouldn't be strung like rosary beads. The
            uterus idea would seem to have a closer reflection to that concept.
            Check out the few photos that have been found.

            Alys K.

            Elise Fleming
            alysk@...
            alyskatharine@...