Re: [cooking_rumpolt] Digest Number 230

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
      the description did mention 'buttons in her as a fist and hanging together like a paternoster'

      so I would assume more than one or they cant hang together like paternoster beads...

      Gwen swamped at work, as usual when the discussion here gets interesting Cat

      >________________________________

    • Carowyn Silveroak
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
        > the description did mention 'buttons in her as a fist and hanging
        > together like a paternoster'

        Check out the picture under March 5, 2010:

        http://dveterinarian.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html

        NSFW!

        But the cat's uterus does seem to resemble a beaded paternoster. I'm
        still looking for deer uterus pics. Apparently not so prevalent on the
        interwebs...

        -Carowyn
        Refinance for 2.625%/3.10% APR
        Loans under 729K usually qualify for US GOV backed refinance programs
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4e7ba469bb432667713st04duc
      • Elise Fleming
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
          There seem to be some sites with information about deer uteri. One is
          http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-7998.1966.tb02970.x/abstract
          which may have photos. The article is available as a PDF but has to be
          ordered from a member or an institution.

          This site (http://placentation.ucsd.edu/deer.html) talks mostly about
          placentas but you might find information about the uterus in which the
          placentas grow. There are some photos at the end.

          I don't know that a pregnant deer would have been used, but there is
          mention in the site in the second paragraph and on this site
          (http://www.jstor.org/pss/1380018) of what I believe are strings of
          round objects (cotyledons). "...most of the Cervidae have six to nine
          cotyledons..." The Freedictionary.com says, "2. Anatomy One of the
          lobules constituting the uterine side of the mammalian placenta,
          consisting mainly of a rounded mass of villi."

          There's a photo here:
          http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/reprod/placenta/ruminants.html
          . This looks like the best source for deer uteri.

          Alys K.

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
            >Ovaries???

            I wondered that too. I think they would have to be pretty similar to
            testicles.

            Ranvaig
          • Elise Fleming
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
              On 9/22/2011 6:36 PM, Sharon Palmer wrote:
              > >Ovaries???
              >
              > I wondered that too. I think they would have to be pretty similar to
              > testicles.

              But, as mentioned, they wouldn't be strung like rosary beads. The
              uterus idea would seem to have a closer reflection to that concept.
              Check out the few photos that have been found.

              Alys K.

              Elise Fleming
              alysk@...
              alyskatharine@...