Re: [cooking_rumpolt] Digest Number 230

  • Elise Fleming
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
      On 9/22/2011 4:14 PM, Carowyn Silveroak wrote:

      > Ovaries???
      >
      > -Carowyn
      >
      > > As far as I can see, the round thing we are looking for is something
      > > that a female "stück Wildt" has, which a male one ("Hirsch") has
      > > not.

      Is uterus in the running? It's round-ish.

      Alys K.
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
        the description did mention 'buttons in her as a fist and hanging together like a paternoster'

        so I would assume more than one or they cant hang together like paternoster beads...

        Gwen swamped at work, as usual when the discussion here gets interesting Cat

        >________________________________

      • Carowyn Silveroak
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
          > the description did mention 'buttons in her as a fist and hanging
          > together like a paternoster'

          Check out the picture under March 5, 2010:

          http://dveterinarian.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html

          NSFW!

          But the cat's uterus does seem to resemble a beaded paternoster. I'm
          still looking for deer uterus pics. Apparently not so prevalent on the
          interwebs...

          -Carowyn
          Refinance for 2.625%/3.10% APR
          Loans under 729K usually qualify for US GOV backed refinance programs
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4e7ba469bb432667713st04duc
        • Elise Fleming
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
            There seem to be some sites with information about deer uteri. One is
            http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-7998.1966.tb02970.x/abstract
            which may have photos. The article is available as a PDF but has to be
            ordered from a member or an institution.

            This site (http://placentation.ucsd.edu/deer.html) talks mostly about
            placentas but you might find information about the uterus in which the
            placentas grow. There are some photos at the end.

            I don't know that a pregnant deer would have been used, but there is
            mention in the site in the second paragraph and on this site
            (http://www.jstor.org/pss/1380018) of what I believe are strings of
            round objects (cotyledons). "...most of the Cervidae have six to nine
            cotyledons..." The Freedictionary.com says, "2. Anatomy One of the
            lobules constituting the uterine side of the mammalian placenta,
            consisting mainly of a rounded mass of villi."

            There's a photo here:
            http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/reprod/placenta/ruminants.html
            . This looks like the best source for deer uteri.

            Alys K.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
              >Ovaries???

              I wondered that too. I think they would have to be pretty similar to
              testicles.

              Ranvaig
            • Elise Fleming
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 22, 2011
                On 9/22/2011 6:36 PM, Sharon Palmer wrote:
                > >Ovaries???
                >
                > I wondered that too. I think they would have to be pretty similar to
                > testicles.

                But, as mentioned, they wouldn't be strung like rosary beads. The
                uterus idea would seem to have a closer reflection to that concept.
                Check out the few photos that have been found.

                Alys K.

                Elise Fleming
                alysk@...
                alyskatharine@...