Re: [cooking_rumpolt] re: Hirsch 36 - knöpff and geil

  • Carowyn Silveroak
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 20 4:38 PM
      > The gall is so bitter that I think it is usually
      > not eaten, but is carefully removed so it doesn't
      > spoil the rest. Perhaps sometimes used
      > medicinally.

      It was used as a mordant, a dye modifier, in some dye recipes.

      -Carowyn
      Penny Stock Jumping 3000%
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4e79246d802d05e39d9st06duc
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 20 4:50 PM
        ok let me see if I can read the tiny print and type tonight
        from Baufeldt "Kleines fruehneuhochdeutsches Woerterbuch"
        pg 104
        geil - M. geile, gayle F.
        1. Uebermut;
        2. Geilheit, Wllust, Schamlosigkeit;
        3. Ueppigkeit' Neigung einer Wunde zur Bildung wilden Fleischs;
        4. Hode. 35. 89, 104, 107

        Hode translates into testicle.

        So that is where I got it from.

        PURR
        Gwen Cat

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 20 4:51 PM
          and having prepared various types of 'mountain oysters' yes the outer skin is rather tough and a bit pebbly, several recipes have you soak or plunge into boiling water so you can peel that part off.

          Gwen yes I do eat the 'funny' bits Cat

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 20 5:38 PM
            >and having prepared various types of 'mountain
            >oysters' yes the outer skin is rather tough and
            >a bit pebbly, several recipes have you soak or
            >plunge into boiling water so you can peel that
            >part off.
            >
            >Gwen yes I do eat the 'funny' bits Cat

            Except that it tells you to peel the FALSE testicles.

            The Knöpff (what ever it is) has the rough shell
            like a chestnut husk, and after it has been
            peeled looks like a testicle. I get the feeling
            that deer testicles were considered special.

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 20 5:49 PM
              I dont have the hands on knowledge so no clue what other critter parts might fit the description, but the real ones do.

              hm
              Gwen hungry now Cat