Anna Weckerin and Sabina Welser paper

  • Johnna Holloway
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2011
      Came across this chapter by Albrecht Classen which features Anna
      Weckerin (Keller) and Sabina Welser.

      Classen, Albrecht. "Sixteenth Century Cookbooks, Artes Literature,
      and Female Voices: Anna Weckerin (Keller) and Sabina Welser." The
      Power of a Woman's Voice in Medieval and Early Modern Literature.
      [Fundamentals of Medieval and Early Modern Culture: 1] Berlin, New
      York: Walter de Gruyter, 2007. pp. 339-366.

      A small portion of the book and this chapter can be seen through
      Google Books or the volume can be interlibrary loaned.

      Johnnae

    • wheezul@canby.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2011
        > Came across this chapter by Albrecht Classen which features Anna
        > Weckerin (Keller) and Sabina Welser.
        >
        > Classen, Albrecht. "Sixteenth Century Cookbooks, Artes Literature,
        > and Female Voices: Anna Weckerin (Keller) and Sabina Welser." The
        > Power of a Woman's Voice in Medieval and Early Modern Literature.
        > [Fundamentals of Medieval and Early Modern Culture: 1] Berlin, New
        > York: Walter de Gruyter, 2007. pp. 339-366.
        >
        > A small portion of the book and this chapter can be seen through
        > Google Books or the volume can be interlibrary loaned.
        >
        > Johnnae

        I quite enjoyed this article. I would say it was written through a
        feminist lens, although I suspect my definition of feminism is rather
        encompassing.

        The article brought into focus for me just how remarkable Anna Wecker
        really was. Do you know she didn't even write the book until she was
        about 70?

        Katherine
      • Johnna Holloway
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2011
          As far as we know it's the first mother-daughter effort too.
          Written by the mother and edited for publication by her daughter.

          And yes it is an odd tract. The subtitle is:
          New Approaches to German and European Women Writers and to Violence
          Against Women in Premodern Times
          so finding the chapter about these cookbooks is rather interesting.

          Johnnae