Re: Hirsch 23

    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2011
      --- In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Palmer <ranvaig@...> wrote:

      > Hirsch 23. Nim~ vom Fleisch den Ruchbraten/
      > schneidt jn dünn vnd länglicht/ klopff jn mit
      > einem Messerrück/ vnd hack Rindtfeißt klein/ mit
      > grünen wolschmeckenden Kräutern/ sträw Pfeffer/
      > Saltz/ vnnd ein wenig Kümel darauff/ wickel das
      > Fleisch vbereinander/ sampt dem Feißt/ steck es
      > an ein Vogelspieß.
      >
      > 23. Take the back roast from the meat/ slice it
      > thin and long/ beat it with the back of a knife/
      > and chop beef fat small/ with green well tasting
      > herbs/ sprinkle pepper/ salt/ and a little
      > caraway over it/ wrap the meat over each other/
      > together with the fat/ stick it on a bird spit.
      >
      > Ist dir aber feißt vberblieben/ so leg den Spieß
      > mit dem Feißt auff ein Bret/ vnd streich dz Feißt
      > vber die Hattele/ daß daran hangen bleibt/ leg es
      > zum Feuwer/ vnd brats ab/ so wirt es sich fein
      > artig machen/ weil es auch innwendig feißt ist.
      >
      > However if there is fat left over/ then lay the
      > spit with the fat on a board/ and spread the fat
      > over the hattele/ that it stays hanging on it/
      > lay it to the fire/ and roast it/ then it is made
      > nicely clever?? / while it is also fat inside.

      so wirt es sich fein artig machen
      I think he means that "it's going to turn out well"

      > Denn es hat einer nicht allezeit der weil/ dz ers
      > begeußt/

      I think he means that "since one dies not always have the time to baste it"
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2011
        >--- In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Palmer <ranvaig@...> wrote:
        >>
        > > Hirsch 23. so wirt es sich fein artig machen/
        > > then it is made nicely clever?? /
        >
        >I think he means that "it's going to turn out well"

        I don't follow where you got "turn out"

        But mostly it comes to the definition of "artig".
        Modern dictionaries say bravely, well behaved, good, agreeable, polite.
        ENHG says artig = clever, skillful "solers, industrius"
        Grimm has a long definition which seems mostly to mean well behaved

        > > Denn es hat einer nicht allezeit der weil/ dz ers begeußt/
        >
        > > Because it has one not always while**/ that he bastes it/
        > > ** you don't have to keep basting it
        >
        >I think he means that "since one dies not always have the time to baste it"

        Yes, I missed "weil", even though I'd gotten it right elsewhere.

        ENHG has "Weile, die" is time, time to spare, a spare moment

        Sälmling 12. ....hastu nicht derweil/
        if you do not have the time/

        How can you tell if "Denn" should be "since" or "because"?
        ENHG has "than" which doesn't seem correct here.