German bread recipes

  • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
      Are there any German period bread recipes? I'd like both a white bread and a rye bread.

      In Rumpolt there are many recipes that use bread, but I haven't seen a recipe for making it. The cooks probably just purchased it.

      Sometimes the bread is called "Weck". "Beef on Weck" is on a roll that I'd call a kaiser roll. Would that have been true then too?

      Ranvaig
    • Dietrich Uhl
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2007
        Bretzel / Pretzel recipe would be of interest also to me. I just built a
        portable wood fired oven and I want to try it out with a good pretzel
        rescipe.

        -D

        On 9/6/07, ranvaig@... <ranvaig@...> wrote:

        > Are there any German period bread recipes? I'd like both a white bread
        > and a rye bread.
        >
        > In Rumpolt there are many recipes that use bread, but I haven't seen a
        > recipe for making it. The cooks probably just purchased it.
        >
        > Sometimes the bread is called "Weck". "Beef on Weck" is on a roll that I'd
        > call a kaiser roll. Would that have been true then too?

        Dietrich Lorenz Uhl : DietrichUhl@...
        Device : Quarterly Or and sable, an owl gules between four crosses clechy
        counterchanged.

      • Huette von Ahrens
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7, 2007
          "Weck" is a version of a kaiser roll, but with caraway seeds and kosher salt on top. It is
          actually called Kimmelweck. It is a specific kind of bread roll very popular with German
          immigrants in Western New York/Buffalo New York area.

          Here is a website with the history of beef on weck:

          http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Sandwiches/BeefOnWeck.htm

          As for period German bread recipes, I don't know of any, but there are so many period German
          cookbooks that haven't been translated yet, that I can't say that there are none. However,
          medieval Germany had a Baker's Guild that was very strong and it is possible that all the old
          recipes were never written down, but passed on from generation to generation by word of mouth and
          by teaching.

          Huette

          --- ranvaig@... wrote:

          > Are there any German period bread recipes? I'd like both a white bread and a rye bread.
          >
          > In Rumpolt there are many recipes that use bread, but I haven't seen a recipe for making it.
          > The cooks probably just purchased it.
          >
          > Sometimes the bread is called "Weck". "Beef on Weck" is on a roll that I'd call a kaiser roll.
          > Would that have been true then too?
          >
          > Ranvaig
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel; King Henry VI, part I: I, v
          http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/

        • Johnna Holloway
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7, 2007
            There's a Bread Museum at Ulm.
            http://www.brotmuseum-ulm.de/museumen/index.html
            Someone might write and ask if they know of any pre 1700 recipes for
            breads. I suspect they may been first published in the 18th century myself.
            That's just a guess though.

            Johnnae

          • grasse@mscd.edu
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 7, 2007
              Thanks for posting this, I have been dealing with start of semester
              crunch and forgotten the thread. I have skimmed through most of
              Rumpolt and several of my other books and do not recall seeing a bread
              recipe. Im not saying there might not be one, but at the quick glances
              I have not seen any, nor does Rumpolt have a chapter title that would
              lead me to look there.

              In Service

              From: Huette von Ahrens <ahrenshav@...>
              Date: Friday, September 7, 2007 1:14 pm
              Subject: Re: [cooking_rumpolt] German bread recipes

              ____________
              > Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives
              > you all the tools to get online.

            • Adele de Maisieres
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 7, 2007
                Huette von Ahrens wrote:
                > "Weck" is a version of a kaiser roll, but with caraway seeds and kosher salt on top. It is
                > actually called Kimmelweck. It is a specific kind of bread roll very popular with German
                > immigrants in Western New York/Buffalo New York area.

                I think "kimmel" is caraway, so presumably Weck per se doesn't have to
                have it.

                --
                Adele de Maisieres

                -----------------------------
                Habeo metrum - musicamque,
                hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
                -Georgeus Gershwinus
                -----------------------------
              • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 7, 2007
                  >I think "kimmel" is caraway, so presumably Weck per se doesn't have to
                  >have it.

                  Yes, "Kimmel" is caraway, so "Kimmelweck" is caraway Weck.
                  I wondered if it necessarily meant a roll then, it is differentiated from a "Semmel", which also means a roll now, but a softer roll than Weck means now.

                  eich ein beschnitten Weck oder Semmel ein

                  I've got a modern recipe for Bauernbrot, part rye with a sourdough "mother". And also will do a white bread from the mother. It might not be quite right but should be good.

                  Ranvaig
                • Huette von Ahrens
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 7, 2007
                    Although "weck" is a dialectic word for a breakfast roll in German, here in the US and
                    specifically in Buffalo New York, the only time "weck" is used is in conjunction with
                    "kimmelweck". If one wanted a plain roll and used a German word, one would use "brötchen" or
                    "semmel". If you went into a German bakery in Buffalo and asked for "weck", they wouldn't inquire
                    as to what kind you wanted. They would just give you a kimmelweck roll. What you would get if
                    you ordered "weck" in a bakery in Germany, I am not sure.

                    Huette