Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

537Re: Morser/Morsel Baking Question

Expand Messages
  • xina007eu
    Apr 7, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Katherine,

      the Grimm dictionary says:
      MÖRSERKUCHEN, m. kuchen der in einer tiefen, in der mitte erhabenen form gebacken wird; süddeutsch gugelhopf.
      (Mörser cake, cake that is baked in a deep mould that is raised in the centre; in Southern Germany called Gugelhopf).

      The German Wikipedia entry (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gugelhupf )says that the moulds with the central tube have been around since the late 17th century and that originally the cake was probably made in a round bowl or small kettle.

      My guess is that the baking mould and the implement for crushing spices etc. are two different things that share the same name, maybe because they originally had a similar shape.

      Best regards,


      --- In cooking_rumpolt@yahoogroups.com, wheezul@... wrote:
      > Hi everyone,
      > I wanted to ask an opinion about a more or less common instruction in the
      > Wecker cookbook to bake some sort of dough/mush/cake mix in a "morser".
      > It is the same word she uses for the mortar (and pestle) with instructions
      > to crush things.
      > Some of the instructions call for the 'morser' to be greased before baking
      > so that the ingredients will come out whole. Most of the mortars from the
      > 16th century I have found are bronze and it is conceivable to me that they
      > may have been useable for baking as well as crushing. Do you think they
      > baked in the same mortar they used for crushing, or was this a more
      > general term for a cylindrical container?
      > Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?
      > Thanks,
      > Katherine B
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic