534Morser/Morsel Baking Question

  • wheezul@canby.com
    Apr 6, 2010
      Hi everyone,

      I wanted to ask an opinion about a more or less common instruction in the
      Wecker cookbook to bake some sort of dough/mush/cake mix in a "morser".
      It is the same word she uses for the mortar (and pestle) with instructions
      to crush things.

      Some of the instructions call for the 'morser' to be greased before baking
      so that the ingredients will come out whole. Most of the mortars from the
      16th century I have found are bronze and it is conceivable to me that they
      may have been useable for baking as well as crushing. Do you think they
      baked in the same mortar they used for crushing, or was this a more
      general term for a cylindrical container?

      Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

      Thanks,

      Katherine B
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic