503Re: [cooking_rumpolt] OT: 16th c. German, not Rumpolt

  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Mar 9, 2010
      Item, schaffen flaisch, klain gehagt, des thut man ein loffel
      voller auff ein wein plat, wigkelt man zusamen wie ein krapffen.
      Daruntter hagt man auch sawere pflawmen, sewdt man allein
      im wasser ab, das sol bey inen auch ein guth, herlich gericht
      sein vnd hot darzw die wein pletter vberal fail.

      Katherine wrote:
      >This sentence seems to be a sticking point.
      >
      >das sol bey inen auch ein guth, herlich gericht
      >sein

      Yup... and the rest of it, too:
      das sol bey inen auch ein guth, herlich gericht
      sein vnd hot darzw die wein pletter vberal fail

      >Let's analyze each word for nuance because as translators, especially ones
      >not fluent in the language from birth, tend to go with what matches our
      >perception and we don't understand the breadth of a word. Especially
      >since we are talking older forms.

      Snipping the word by word analysis...

      There is another set of nuances, to which you alluded but which you
      elided... the nuances of foody language.

      Now Dernschwam was a relatively sophisticated man and may have
      grasped some of those nuances, at least as regards European food. But
      he was no cook, and some of his descriptions show his prejudice
      against Ottoman food.
      --
      Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
      the persona formerly known as Anahita